The Sacrifice - A medieval fantasy RP

Urir turned, waiting for a few moments for the girl to sit, but when she remained standing, he huffed slightly in apparent annoyance. "Wait here," he commanded and left again through the door they had just come through. It was the only obvious door in the room, but much of the walls were covered in drapes almost as dingy as the furniture, so that one could easily imagine a door might be concealed somewhere behind them.

Some faint grumbling along the lines of "...didn't even shut the door...", followed by a faint creak and "thud" of the castle door closing, could be heard from the entry way only a few moments after Urir left Marlo in the sitting room.

Marlo exhaled a shaky breath to relax and took it upon herself to take a look at the room she was standing in. The covered walls muted much of the sound from in the room, making it almost soundproof with the door closed. She couldn't help but wonder why they were there, and who would hear her if she had to call for help. Probably nobody. The air was musty, dusty of course, and a bit damp. She fought the urge to cough, feeling that breaking the ominous silent in the castle might bring something bad upon her. It gave an impression of suffocating, although nothing was really restricting her breathing except herself.

Last edited:
"She is here," Urir announced in the same monotone voice he had used with the girl.

"Ah, good. Very good," the wizard didn't bother to turn around to look at Urir, but smiled to himself while preening his appearance in a mirror, taming a few stray hairs and smoothing his beard and mustasche. When satisfied, he strode down toward the sitting room where Marlo awaited him, making hardly a sound on the carpeted castle stairs.

"Welcome, Lady," Dulirn said, giving a small bow as he entered the room. "It is not often we are graced with such fair company."

Marlo pursed her lips when he walked in the room, her eyes unconsciously scanning his entire figure. Despite his attempt to "clean up" he still looked a bit disheveled... but who was she to judge. She probably looked like Urir had rounded her up from an animal pen. What got her most was his eyes. He had on a reasonably pleasant expression, but his eyes betrayed something else, something darker. "Umm," she hastened to introduce herself, as was the polite thing to do. "My name and is Marlo, I'm extremely sorry for trepassing in your house. I really didn't mean any harm." At this point she still assumed that Dulirn would be angry.

"No harm done, Marlo." he replied easily. "My name is Dulirn." He entered the room, stopping a few feet away from the woman. "In fact, I so rarely receive visitors that I would be delighted if you would join me for dinner." His eyes scanned the grungy room. "And I promise the dinning room is in far better repair than my much unused sitting room..."

Marlo hesitated, twisting her fingers through the rabbit's soft fur. On one hand, the thought of a decent meal was tempting, very tempting... but on the other hand, she wasn't sure if she trusted this strange man. He seemed pleasant enough on the outside, on the inside though she wasn't sure he was so genuine. His eyes still bothered her, and the strange bit of fog that had led her to this place certainly wasn't normal. She decided to cut her losses and get out while she still could. "Thats very nice of you Dulirn, I appreciate the offer. I have friends though, who are expecting me back soon, I can't keep them waiting." By mentioning other people she hoped to make it seem like someone would come looking for her if she didn't make it back...

"Ah, well," he said, seeming almost sad as he took a step backwards toward the doorway, physically blocking an easy exit from the room. "That is too bad."

He then lifted one hand as he kept his eyes locked on her, little sparks of magical energies suddenly dancing between his fingers. His pleasant facade dropped, replaced by something much more sinister. "Are you sure you won't reconsider?"

Marlo's hand flew instinctively behind her back, dropping the rabbit, and closed around an arrow, she fitted it quickly with practiced ease into the bow and had pointed it his chest in a few seconds of his fingers sparking. At the same time as her hand moved, she sucked in a quick, startled gasp at the sight and her eyes went wide. She had never seen magic first hand, but had witnessed the destruction it could cause in the destroyed villages that she and other travelers looted after their defences fell. It certainly wasn't something to be taken lightly. After the initial shock ebbed she attempted to steady her breathing, her whole arm was trembling around the weapon and her knees felt weak.

She cast a quick glance at the single window in the room, now her only exit with him blocking the door and made a quick estimate of how long it would take her to get there. Any other time she would have ran without thinking, as her lighter frame allowed her to outrun most threats which she wouldn't have been able to tackle on her own. This time, however, she was hesitant. The sparkling magic dancing around his fingertips unnerved her, she was unfamiliar with it... and that made her weary. Whats waiting for you if you don't get out? A little voice said in her head. It had a point, she concluded, but she was sure the magic could move faster then she could if she tried to run. So instead she attempted to buy herself a few minutes. "What do you want?" She demanded, hoping her voice sounded more confident and assertive then she felt.

"Ah, impressive," Dulirn noted to her well practiced skill at knocking an arrow to her bow string. But he looked wholly unconcerned about the tip being aimed at his chest. "What is it that I want?" he repeated her question, still with the little sparks of magical energies crackling at his finger tips. "Why, for you to stay as my guest, of course," he said, laughing lightly as if he was slightly mad, pushed ever closer to the brink of insanity by his forays into dark magic.

Behind the wizard, the short humanoid creature appeared in the doorway, as if he had been standing just outside in anticipation. He scooted past Dulirn and into the room. He paused there, eyes shifting between the floor and Marlo uncomfortably.

"Urir!" Dulirn commanded harshly and the creature started moving around the edge of the room toward the window, staring nervously at the drawn bow as he did so.

"Ah, impressive," Dulirn noted to her well practiced skill at knocking an arrow to her bow string. But he looked wholly unconcerned about the tip being aimed at his chest. "What is it that I want?" he repeated her question, still with the little sparks of magical energies crackling at his finger tips. "Why, for you to stay as my guest, of course," he said, laughing lightly as if he was slightly mad, pushed ever closer to the brink of insanity by his forays into dark magic.

Behind the wizard, the short humanoid creature appeared in the doorway, as if he had been standing just outside in anticipation. He scooted past Dulirn and into the room. He paused there, eyes shifting between the floor and Marlo uncomfortably.

"Urir!" Dulirn commanded harshly and the creature started moving around the edge of the room toward the window, staring nervously at the drawn bow as he did so.
I don't want to stay here, you freak! The words jumped immediately from her mind and she just barely was able to bite her tongue and hold them back. Offending him probably wasn't going to get her anywhere... except maybe getting locked in his creepy castle for eternity. His insane rambling was unsettling, did he even know what he was doing? Was he being controlled by someone else? Something else? She shuddered involuntarily at the thought, then inwardly chuckled nervously at herself for considering it. Those were just ghost stories... right?

As soon as Urir entered the room her gaze was drawn to him, she shifted the drawn bow towards him, then back to Dulirn, whom she considered the greater threat. With a pang of alarm, however, she noticed that Urir was moving towards the window, her only exit point. She didn't think she could outrun magic if Dulirn tried to do something, whatever that might be she wasn't even sure, but maybe with a distraction she could make the distance. It wasn't that far, not even entirely across the room. Glancing at Urir again as he made his way around the room towards the window, it had to be now.

In a split second she lifted the bow from being pointed at Dulirn and aimed for an old dusty picture frame hanging on the wall behind him that she had noticed earlier. Briefly, as she let go of the string and let the arrow fly, she considered actually shooting at Dulirn himself, but quickly decided against it. She had never shot deliberately at another person to kill, and even though she wasn't completely sure he even was human, he sure looked like one. The glass in front of the picture exploded into a bunch of tiny fragments upon contact with the arrow, creating a loud shattering bang as the fragments rained down around Dulirn. The moment the arrow struck its target, Marlo bolted for the window, leaving the rabbit lying cold on the molding carpet.

Back
Top Bottom