The saddest day so far with chickens

Billyj, I am glad you plan to get more chickens. I would use this time to fortify or rebuild coop or run (whichever the predator got into) from the ground up. Concrete flooring with an apron extended past the build line, so nothing comes up under them. Hardware cloth, the strongest and smallest holes you could get., and all the other suggestions and advice you can get from going back and researching as much as possible on the predators thread.

I think I would just spend as much as possible and have all bases covered from the beginning. To save alot of heartache later. I would add an outside panic light for coop/run, so if you hear an attack in the middle of the night you will see a target for your shotgun. If the coop is close enough to your home - get one of the baby monitors so many chicken people suggest. Then you can hear trouble immediately.

Maybe you could even get one of those personal alarm key chain things that are very loud. If you ran out to the coop and let it blare it might scare something into dropping a chicken. Please don't forget to cover the run also. If you keep our one predator some other kind will pop up. Its a continuous war - sad to say. I know this is alot to consider, build and pay for. But I think when you are as secure as possible - then add some chickens and get over some of the nightmare of what happened now - you should be able to feel 99% safe and relax and enjoy them.

So sorry for your loss BillyJ...I'm glad you decided to jump back in. Sooner or later most, if not all us chicken lovers are gonna take a hit from some kinda predator.Get that coop super secured and give it a go again..! Best wishes...

I didn't think I could ever get another dog after saying good bye to our little dachshund we'd had for 131/2 yrs. but you know what after 31/2 weeks, I couldn't stand it ,yes we went and got another one and she helped to heal my heart. We've all had to say good bye to chickens or other pets we've had maybe not to the extent you have, but they hold a place in our hearts that nothing else can hold, so go find some more chicks you'll feel better when you do. And because of your loss you'll be able to speak words of healing to someone else.

I had the same experience with my first batch of babies this year - such a mess. I was so upset! I took greater pains with my next batch and keep them up at night in a fortified coop - 11 raccons I've trapped since the first event - I lost three more one night when I was too lazy to go lock them up 2 more racoons trapped after that. Hope you can try trapping your predators and moving them far far away!

Ok I think I am ready. Everyday I walk out into my backyard and see my little coop wanting more chickens, I get a little more impatient. Now all I have to do is find someone with some eggs they will sell, break out the old incubator, and start enjoying my little chickie babies once again. I have refortified the coop (kinda reminds me of Fort Knox). I am ready. Cross your fingers and wish me luck.

billyj we found out how the possums were killing our chickens cause since they have a outside run its connects to the coop to and the hole where they go out is where the possums were getting the chickens so we finally started closeing them in every nite and never had another problem
smile.png
and sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
and come to my house and get some chickens have a lot of hens and roos AND ducks for sale!! pm me if interested!

Don't know what type I am going to get. I have a friend who has some EE's. Want kinda a variety. Not looking for pure or anything. Just some chickens. As long as they give me some eggs and I will not complain. I am going to make sure I lock them up at night this time. They were in the pen, but not locked in the coop. I have a double locking, electrified deadbolt, with 2 swords and a maching gun now. I am ready for anything. HEHE. Oh well the search begins.

Back
Top Bottom