The Saga Begins

Pics

knowvagale

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
Austin, Texas
A hilariously unlikely to succeed hatching project. A homemade incubator with no real thermometer. Four questionably sourced eggs, and no prior hatching experience whatsoever. What could possibly go wrong? First, a little background: my family has a friend who does housekeeping for us every week, and ever since she discovered we were willing to pay high prices for her delicious farm-fresh eggs, she has brought over baskets frequently. Once when I was about ten years old, I decided it would be a good idea to try to hatch one. I stuck it in a bean strainer suspended over pot of lukewarm water, intending to reheat it when it cooled. Unsurprisingly, the endeavor was a total failure. And to be honest, years later, when I pulled a hacked-up ice chest out of the back of a storage closet and bargained with my mother until she finally agreed to give up four of her precious eggs, my egg-spectations (sorry, sorry, I had to) were not high. First of all, I had no reliable thermometer. Instead I poked a plethora of medical and meat thermometers through the foam, all of which seemed to have a different opinion on on the actual temperature. I had a heat lamp that had been retired from use in a reptile cage, but no way to secure it in the incubator, so I used a heating pad instead. The second problem was this: the heating pad got too hot if the eggs were placed directly on top of it, but when I placed them on a baking rack one or two inches above it, they only reached around 90-95 degrees. I wrapped the ice chest in tinfoil, but it didn't quite do the trick. In order to get it to the required 98-102, I had to repeatedly heat up a sock filled with lentils in the microwave every 4 or 5 hours, or every time I turned the eggs. I was ridiculously pessimistic about the possibility of one of them actually developing, let alone hatching. I promised myself I'd throw the eggs out at day seven if there was no sign of development, before they became too rancid. But I am nothing but not impulsive, and I couldn't wait until day 7 to candle. Today, day four, I took the eggs out to candle them, and to my surprise, there was not one but four embryos developing! Still, I doubt that they will make it through the whole 3 weeks. The temperature in the incubator is hard to control and dips to 95 every night, so I'm hardly optimistic. But I'll continue to post updates, and you never know--maybe some of them will survive my lack of any experience and actual supplies. Also, here are some pictures of the monstrous frankenstein incubator and the eggs inside.

Attachments

• IMG-0878.jpg
    IMG-0878.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-0879.jpg
    IMG-0879.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-0877.jpg
    IMG-0877.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 15
A hilariously unlikely to succeed hatching project. A homemade incubator with no real thermometer. Four questionably sourced eggs, and no prior hatching experience whatsoever. What could possibly go wrong? First, a little background: my family has a friend who does housekeeping for us every week, and ever since she discovered we were willing to pay high prices for her delicious farm-fresh eggs, she has brought over baskets frequently. Once when I was about ten years old, I decided it would be a good idea to try to hatch one. I stuck it in a bean strainer suspended over pot of lukewarm water, intending to reheat it when it cooled. Unsurprisingly, the endeavor was a total failure. And to be honest, years later, when I pulled a hacked-up ice chest out of the back of a storage closet and bargained with my mother until she finally agreed to give up four of her precious eggs, my egg-spectations (sorry, sorry, I had to) were not high. First of all, I had no reliable thermometer. Instead I poked a plethora of medical and meat thermometers through the foam, all of which seemed to have a different opinion on on the actual temperature. I had a heat lamp that had been retired from use in a reptile cage, but no way to secure it in the incubator, so I used a heating pad instead. The second problem was this: the heating pad got too hot if the eggs were placed directly on top of it, but when I placed them on a baking rack one or two inches above it, they only reached around 90-95 degrees. I wrapped the ice chest in tinfoil, but it didn't quite do the trick. In order to get it to the required 98-102, I had to repeatedly heat up a sock filled with lentils in the microwave every 4 or 5 hours, or every time I turned the eggs. I was ridiculously pessimistic about the possibility of one of them actually developing, let alone hatching. I promised myself I'd throw the eggs out at day seven if there was no sign of development, before they became too rancid. But I am nothing but not impulsive, and I couldn't wait until day 7 to candle. Today, day four, I took the eggs out to candle them, and to my surprise, there was not one but four embryos developing! Still, I doubt that they will make it through the whole 3 weeks. The temperature in the incubator is hard to control and dips to 95 every night, so I'm hardly optimistic. But I'll continue to post updates, and you never know--maybe some of them will survive my lack of any experience and actual supplies. Also, here are some pictures of the monstrous frankenstein incubator and the eggs inside.
Good luck! You can try wrapping it in a few blankets at night to try and steady the temp. do you have any water for humidity? You may not need any yet, but if any make it to lockdown you'll have to have 75% humidity. Fun experiment, I wish you the best of luck! Update often!

Also, do you have any ventilation? Eggs need to breathe.

@MGG also yes I have water in there for humidity--but I'm down in Texas so humidity is around 50% anyway. I'm not refilling the water very much rn cause I don't want the air pocket to be too small, but I'll start if any of them make it to lockdown.

Good news everyone! When I woke up this morning the incubator was still at 99.6, because I wrapped it in blankets last night. Thanks for the great tip!

Back
Top Bottom