The Science Of Feeding Grit To Poultry

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 3riverschick, May 27, 2014.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    Hi Beekissed,
    It's in the Bibliography of Grit book listed in post 1.
    Best Karen

2. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

Thanks! Will have a look at that. [​IMG]

3. amenfarm

amenfarm Songster

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    opps!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  4. amenfarm

amenfarm Songster

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I find that bill board traps, with the type of plastic they are -far out last even heavy duty tarps-by years, you do have to install your own grommets, but it's been worth it.

5. akchickenman

akchickenman Chirping

Feb 2, 2017
    Anchorage, AK
    Does anyone else have thoughts on this? I know that it is easy to build something that takes up little space in the coop, but if this would help the chickens move around the litter then it sounds like a win! Especially in cold climates where the ground freezes thereby making it hard for them to find grit in the winter.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

Well, that's where chickens find it out on the land...no dishes there. When I do go out of my way to get any grit of any kind, I just dump it on the ground outside the coop door and let them sort it out.

7. akchickenman

akchickenman Chirping

Feb 2, 2017
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks! That was what I was thinking but have heard different thoughts. Glad to hear it will work out and I won't need to make any coop modifications!

8. tkolnik

tkolnik In the Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Wow that is amazing. I cant tell you how much i am learning. I really want to give these little chics the best chance for a healthy and happy life. I am raising them to be layers as my family and i love to eat eggs. So this information is very interesting and should be very helpful. Thank you and God Bless

9. tkolnik

tkolnik In the Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Good info here. Could you maybe explain to me what insoluable grit means/is. Im new to all of this and trying to do right by these chics

10. Rockvillian

Rockvillian In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Rockville, Virginia
    "Insoluble" means the grit is not digestible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: