The Science Of Feeding Grit To Poultry

Don't know that I've ever heard that grit exercises the gizzard nor cleans out build up in the intestines. Grit is primarily to help the gizzard grind seeds and bug shells into a more digestible form. When grit exits the gizzard it's normally worn so smooth that it's no longer any good for this purpose, so not sure about the cleaning out the build up? in the intestines. Been killing and cleaning birds a long time and never once known a chicken to have intestinal buildup? The gizzard gets exercise when grinding food but not sure if the grit causes the exercise....should be the act of grinding.

Sure would love some reference materials on the ideas about grit being used for exercise and cleaning out the bowels. Should make for interesting reading.
Hi Beekissed,
It's in the Bibliography of Grit book listed in post 1.
Best Karen

Thanks! Will have a look at that.
thumbsup.gif

Smart man! You can also roof that run with tarps. Makes a big difference when it rains. All my smaller runs are roofed. Buy a tarp at Harbor Freight and some of those bungie cords with the ball on the end for canopies. Stretch the tarps over the roof and insert screws into the uprights near the top of the stud. Pull the tarp taut and put the bungees thru the grommet holes, looping the bungee over the screw. Tight enough to hold it but not to rip the tarp. Works great for us. The slight overhang of the tarp sends rainwater into the grass, not back into the run. The bungees give enough flex to the tarp that the tarp doesn't rip when the wind blows. If you need more than one tarp, duct tape the overlap seam so the water doesn't leak between the tarp seams and into the run. Our has lasted for years until an 80 ft. pine tree fell on the run and demolished it. ( yes, the chickens were fine but the run( not the coop) is a goner.
Best,
Karen

I find that bill board traps, with the type of plastic they are -far out last even heavy duty tarps-by years, you do have to install your own grommets, but it's been worth it.

My little coop doesn't really have room for another dish. I've just been tossing my grit on the floor plus where I let them roam for a bit each day. How do I know they are getting enough?
Does anyone else have thoughts on this? I know that it is easy to build something that takes up little space in the coop, but if this would help the chickens move around the litter then it sounds like a win! Especially in cold climates where the ground freezes thereby making it hard for them to find grit in the winter.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this? I know that it is easy to build something that takes up little space in the coop, but if this would help the chickens move around the litter then it sounds like a win! Especially in cold climates where the ground freezes thereby making it hard for them to find grit in the winter.
Well, that's where chickens find it out on the land...no dishes there. When I do go out of my way to get any grit of any kind, I just dump it on the ground outside the coop door and let them sort it out.

Well, that's where chickens find it out on the land...no dishes there.  When I do go out of my way to get any grit of any kind, I just dump it on the ground outside the coop door and let them sort it out. 

Thanks! That was what I was thinking but have heard different thoughts. Glad to hear it will work out and I won't need to make any coop modifications!

Wow that is amazing. I cant tell you how much i am learning. I really want to give these little chics the best chance for a healthy and happy life. I am raising them to be layers as my family and i love to eat eggs. So this information is very interesting and should be very helpful. Thank you and God Bless

Good info here. Could you maybe explain to me what insoluable grit means/is. Im new to all of this and trying to do right by these chics

Back
Top Bottom