The Science Of Feeding Grit To Poultry

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 3riverschick, May 27, 2014.

1. shadowfox

shadowfox Songster

Oct 22, 2016
    New Mexico
    Our yard is mostly dirt with lots of gravel. Can I just scoop up a bunch of it and put it in the brooder box for the chicks? It will have a large variety in sizes from tiny to larger pieces.

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    I would wash the gravel clean first.
    Best ,
    Karen

casportpony likes this.
  3. Betsy57

Betsy57 Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2011
    Murphysboro IL USA
    Mix the two and use it up. It will be too old and possibly moldy if held too long.

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :goodpost:

casportpony likes this.
  5. keringordon

keringordon Chirping

May 2, 2018
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Wow thats more than I know about my dogs insides. I feed mine cheetos, italian bread, chips, cookies, dried mealworms and veggies. I suspect my intentions are different from most. I just want a big happy chicken family. I usually break half the eggs they produce and give it back to them. So far they have not broken a single egg on their own. My dogs have figured out where the nesting box is so if they get there before me the eggs are usually gone. My rooster Tony is a great defender but my one dog that takes the eggs is a chihuahua mix so there is really no interaction between them. I do enjoy the eggs and so do they. They are free range so the get all the dirt they want along with the sand baths they love so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: