The search for a speckled hen! Swedish flowerhen or speckled sussex or...?

They're both beautiful! If breeding, I believe you have to watch for the crested SFH and avoid breeding a crested rooster + crested hen (something about vaulted skulls). Other than that, they're both great. Ours are both near the bottom-middle of the pecking order. Pretty easy-going. SS is a bit bigger and lays a bit more frequently than SFH.

I believe you have to watch for the crested SFH and avoid breeding a crested rooster + crested hen (something about vaulted skulls)
I have crested SFH roos and hens and they do not have vaulted skulls. You may be confusing them with another breed e.g. Polish or it's just a myth.

I have crested SFH roos and hens and they do not have vaulted skulls. You may be confusing them with another breed e.g. Polish or it's just a myth.
Ah, I could be wrong. I thought it was when they're bred together that the issue occurred. Mine has a crest and she is totally fine, so nothing wrong with a crest in and of itself.

It is true that most SFH breeders don’t recommend breeding crested to crested to prevent vaulted skulls as the crest gene is associated with vaults. While there is a clear association, it does seem to be more complicated genetically. So that’s why you can breed two crested birds together and not necessarily have any problems.😊

It is true that most SFH breeders don’t recommend breeding crested to crested to prevent vaulted skulls as the crest gene is associated with vaults. While there is a clear association, it does seem to be more complicated genetically. So that’s why you can breed two crested birds together and not necessarily have any problems.😊
That is my understanding too. It isn't that you WILL have issues, it's that you "could", and many choose to not risk it.

These are my SFH, I only keep this breed.
20210925_180202.jpg

20210922_151351.jpg

They were molting.
20210925_180051.jpg

My twins with crest.
20210312_153453.jpg

She's not the mother, but being friendly to the chick's.
20210719_111424.jpg

Thought the Swedish Flower Hen was one of the last lines of wild chickens from Sweden. I just ordered a chick from My Pet Chicken. Also a speckled sussex. There is a big difference in their feathers that are coming in. is a 55 Flowery hen a mix of the two?

Thought the Swedish Flower Hen was one of the last lines of wild chickens from Sweden. I just ordered a chick from My Pet Chicken. Also a speckled sussex. There is a big difference in their feathers that are coming in. is a 55 Flowery hen a mix of the two?
No not a mix of the two. I think 55's have leghorn and 2 other breeds crossed into the Swedish flower hen. There plain looking and auto sex for the breed. They do lay about the same amount as Leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom