The Secret Life of My Flock

I haven't posted here for a while because the thread didn't get much attention, but I think I will just keep posting when something interesting happens with my flock and maybe some readers will enjoy it! :D

Here is basically what has happened since I last posted:
  • Meg escaped into our neighbour's garden - My sisters and I spent ages frantically searching for her when we were closing up for the day and then I spotted her in our neighbours garden and we got her safely home.
  • Comical outsmarted me - I put up extra fencing to stop Comical and AJ from flying over my gate into my backyard lawn, but she managed to still balance on the wobbly millimetre thin wire and get over. She is a seriously good flyer for a chicken.
  • Meg and Hay-Hay managed to find a way to get out into my backyard lawn too - They have their wings clipped so they couldn't fly over, but their tiny bodies managed to slip through a gap in the fence and reach the yard.
  • Meg and Hay-Hay ventured out into the front yard - This I was not happy about and fixed up immediately, they slipped under the gate and got out onto my front yard. Which is so dangerous because of cars, other peoples dogs, my cats, other people's cats etc.
  • Meg had a near escape from death from my cat - When I caught Meg and Hay-Hay out in my front yard, I knew I had to act fast so I made the hard decision to take Hay-Hay and come back for Meg because I could only carry 1 chicken. As I was quickly walking away I heard a lot of squawking and turn around to see my cat Wednesday and the very shaken up Meg squawking and running around like she had lost her head. I didn't even see Wednesday beforehand, I yelled out for my sister and she came running obviously knowing something was wrong after hearing the squawking. Wednesday got a punishment, and both Meg and Hay-Hay were fine but neither of them dares to go out the front again.
  • My silkies learned that their platform is the best place to sleep - They have finally stopped sleeping on the ground and that they will be safely out of the road of the other chickens on their platform. They also learnt how to get up there by using a ladder.
  • We got 8 eggs in 1 day - Yes, 8 eggs out of 7 chickens. The day beforehand we only got 3 eggs so I think one or 2 of them laid early in the morning and then again in the afternoon.
Well, I think that is all that has happened in the past week or so! Thanks BYC and I hope you enjoy the rest of my thread!

I, for one, enjoy reading about your flock's escapades. Isn't it funny that such little creatures -- often considered insignificant in the outside world -- can consume so much of our time and our hearts?

Congrats on the big egg day! Meg and Hay-Hay sound like quite the characters.

Keep posting, and I will keep reading.

You want stories? Well boy do I have one for you!
This afternoon, I came home to Meg in my pool desperately just trying to stay alive. She had obviously been in there for hours trying to get out, she was exhausted and when I picked her up she passed out. We rushed her to the vet and they said she had hypothermia (in the middle of summer, go figure) and she had swallowed a heap of pool water. She looked awful, and the vet gave her a shot of antibiotics and another of steroids or something! The poor thing was so cold and exhausted, her body temperature was 33 degrees Celcius when it was supposed to be 42. The vet gave us some oral antibiotics that we have to give her every morning and evening starting tomorrow. We took her home and put her under a heat lamp with plenty of water and food. After a couple of hours, Meg had perked up a little and had eaten all her food and drank some of her water, she also was pooping. We gave her some more food and some honey in a separate bowl (which the vet recommended) and she gobbled most of it up. She is still not her normal self, she wasn't even worried about the fact she couldn't see any of her friends nor could she roost tonight and I will probably keep her separated for another day or two, but she is enormously better. She is asleep right now because it is night time in Australia, but for some reason, she is sleeping standing up. But she will probably just sit down when she gets tired!

Anyway, today was eventful!

You want stories? Well boy do I have one for you!
This afternoon, I came home to Meg in my pool desperately just trying to stay alive. She had obviously been in there for hours trying to get out, she was exhausted and when I picked her up she passed out. We rushed her to the vet and they said she had hypothermia (in the middle of summer, go figure) and she had swallowed a heap of pool water. She looked awful, and the vet gave her a shot of antibiotics and another of steroids or something! The poor thing was so cold and exhausted, her body temperature was 33 degrees Celcius when it was supposed to be 42. The vet gave us some oral antibiotics that we have to give her every morning and evening starting tomorrow. We took her home and put her under a heat lamp with plenty of water and food. After a couple of hours, Meg had perked up a little and had eaten all her food and drank some of her water, she also was pooping. We gave her some more food and some honey in a separate bowl (which the vet recommended) and she gobbled most of it up. She is still not her normal self, she wasn't even worried about the fact she couldn't see any of her friends nor could she roost tonight and I will probably keep her separated for another day or two, but she is enormously better. She is asleep right now because it is night time in Australia, but for some reason, she is sleeping standing up. But she will probably just sit down when she gets tired!

Anyway, today was eventful!
Wow... an eventful day indeed. I'm sure she will recover. I'm glad she was able to stay afloat. I never thought about a chicken being able to swim or not. Now I know they can! lol:D

Back
Top Bottom