The seller flushed the chicks too much

Centauri3132

Hatching
Sep 26, 2020
Hi i am planing to raise some chicks in my backyard. Few days ago i went to a local seller to buy some austrolorp chicks, when i got home and checked most of them had pastry bum and some of them were having diarrhea symptoms. I don't know what to do next. I gave them some water with zinc supplement. Plus i put some crushed granite in their brooder. Some of them look quite exhausted, their wings are down as well.
When i contacted the seller he said i just over flushed them.

Attachments

• 1601110179156905959123434212997.jpg
    1601110179156905959123434212997.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 15
I don’t know what over flushing means. Electrolytes in the water might help. Make sure to dip their beaks for a half second and get them drinking. Baby chicks with pasty butt cannot poop, and they are constipated. They can doe from it. They may have been kept too hot, or they were dehydrated. What temperature do you keep their brooder? Use a thermometer to monitor it. Too much heat or too little heat can cause pasty butt. How many days old are they? Clean out your waterer and raise it up on some boards to keep it out of the pine shavings. Keep their butts clean somthey can poop. Check them daily. Will the breeder replace ones that you lose?

In my region, many chicken owner use highly concentrated sugar syrups to clean the intestines of the birds. They call it flushing.
My brooder is at 34 35 degree Celsius. He is saying that they are about 15 days old but i noticed some of them are very small to be 15 days old

I swear by using apple cider vinegar water for chicks and chickens. We’ve never had a pasty butt using acv. 1 TBSP per gallon. Make sure you clean their little bums with a qtip so it doesn’t become a problem. One of my chicks I had to dip her beak for several hours before she realized what she was supposed to be doing. I also agree with raising the waterer a bit. One of our babies walked in the water and probably would’ve drowned if I hadn’t been right there. I didn’t think it was big enough but they can fall in. One of them looks wet in the picture and might be cold. Feather development is a good way to tell a rough age. They could be around that. These were my chicks at around 2 weeks old for reference...
07D5F587-583C-4A49-9EC8-CF963C61101B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom