The shed is here.... OMG NOW WHAT!

Go for it Loghousemom! You can probably pick up windows at one of the Habitat re-store - or - keep an eye out for someone having windows replaced and ask if you can haul away a few of the old ones.
It's a challenge but very rewarding to learn to do these 'construction' things.
big_smile.png

We don't have anything like a habitat re-store around here, but I do have lots of old windows from when we replaced the ones in our house that I want to use, and then have a prop to open them. Right now my coop has large windows with screens, so I could just take the screens out and recover them with hardware cloth to get a bit more airflow.... I think I might save the window project for next summer. I am working on repainting the trim on the coop and insulating the inside for winter now. That and replacing the fencing that was burnt in the fire last fall, I am plenty busy. :)

I GOT AN EGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big_smile.png

It's tiny - not quite as big around as a quarter - but it's lovely.

I think that it might be from one of the speckled sussex's - Sola or Nova.

Nothing since Sat.. maybe more (and bigger) soon
fl.gif

hahaha - they HAVE a nest box - which I don't think they've even looked at.
th.gif

They layed this over in a corner of the coop. I almost didn't even see it.

Quick update.

I purchased one of the Pullet-shut doors a little while back. Love it! It was easy to install - not counting my incompetence and lack of planning - and has worked perfectly since day one.
I got the solar power option with the photo eye. Still have to 'clean up' the wires and such but it's functional for now.
WOOT!
yesss.gif

inside - the cord goes way up to a little shelf that holds the battery

outside - the cord on this side goes to the photo sensor eye

Also did some major run expanding. The run used to be an 8'x10' space directly behind the coop. Last week it grew to twice it's size. I had expanded it a bit with 4' high wire but I kept coming home to loose chickens. I LOVED seeing them come running... but it was just a matter of time before something tragic happened. It's now about 30'x30' and 6' high. All that post hole digging - much of it by flashlight - was a pain... but the girls love the extra space.

Next on the list..... ????

OOPS!!! I meant to post an updated pict of the kids

That's Hurra Cane, the roo. On the back row is Citizen Cane, Candy Cane and Raisin Cane.
The 2 sussex in the front are Sola Cane and Nova Cane.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I just love reading your posts Canesisters - it gives me hope that I can build my next coop (in the near future) all on my own and the motivation to try!

Quick update.

I purchased one of the Pullet-shut doors a little while back.  Love it!  It was easy to install - not counting my incompetence and lack of planning - and has worked perfectly since day one.
I got the solar power option with the photo eye.  Still have to 'clean up' the wires and such but it's functional for now. 
WOOT!  :yesss:

outside - the cord on this side goes to the photo sensor eye

So where did you find it? I have been thinking it would be nice to get one of these for my ladies as well... At least since the chickens and my daughters have about the same bedtime! Hahaha.

Back
Top Bottom