The shed is here.... OMG NOW WHAT!

...I painted up in the eaves last night so I can wire it up tonight. Ummm.... does anyone have any idea HOW to do that? I kept looking at it and I'm not sure where or how I'm going to attach the wire.

I'm a bit late posting....I used 1/2" wire fabric, fender washers and screws

Last edited:
TRACTOR UPDATE (and plea for help)

I got the inside of the old crate painted while it was drying out inside the barn. Then this morning I started back on it with a vengeance. I was up at 4AM so after some coffee, and some layering up of clothes - down to the barn I went. I should add that using a nail gun before dawn can be a bit alarming to the neighbors........ Thank goodness that a deputy who owns chickens can find it amusing that no one was being murdered and simply ask that gun shot sounds be limited to daylight hours...
Anyway - I decided to install the vinyl floor until dawn.

Once the sun came up, I started framing the run area. The idea WAS to make it like a wheel barrow. Handles on the end of the run, wheels on the opposite end of the coop.. Raise the run and tip it up on wheels.

My plan was to take a hunk of 2x6 and cut it into 4 or 6 triangles - nail them together into a big block - drill a hole and insert the axle from my 2-wheel wheelbarrow. Once attached to the bottom board (under the coop), the frame would sit on the ground until it was tipped up - just enough for it to roll a little.
Like this, but a bit bigger/tougher:

PROBLEM - from axle to wheel is more than 6"....

barnie.gif
crap!

Now what????

Last edited:
Almost there!!! It's painted (except for what was added this weekend). The wheels are on - and they work. The pet door is installed. All that is left now is to put the 2 metal panels on the roof, paint the bits and pieces that were missed, cut and cover a few more vent holes, add a small door into the run (for me) and wire the whole thing up.
big_smile.png

I can't wait to get this finished and get back to a few things that the permanent coop needs.

Today was Gilmanor day!
celebrate.gif
As a direct opposite to last year's sweltering afternoon - this year it was nearly cold and I found that I only had about an hour to make my contacts and head back south.
I picked up 4 ee x chicks. Stopped about half way home and one of them looked dead. OH NO!!!! I picked her up and she was breathing so we sat there till she warmed up enough to start peeping. Then she rode the rest of the way home in my shirt... yes, I did go there.....
Anyway, the ONE thing I didn't pick up before the swap was a package of Save-a-chick so I mixed up some sugar water and gave them all - expecially the poorly one - some as soon as I got home. I guess the whole chilly day was just too much for her because she died less than half an hour later. Poor little thing.
The other 3, however, were zipping around the brooder on a sugar high! I don't remember last year's chicks moving at such frantic speeds!

BLRWxEE

EE w/ feather-ed legs

EExdorking - 5 cute little toes and poofey cheeks!

Now, I gotta wonder.... again... Am I the only person for whom chicken math actually works??? Last year I planned to start with 6 chicks. I bought 8. But 2 died with in the first 2 weeks, so I ended up raising 6 chicks. I had planned to add 5 new ones this year. But I was offered 2 adult Jersey Giant/Australorp girls - so they joined the flock just a week before the gilmanor swap. I get to the swap and end up picking out 4 chicks.. and loose one before they even get to the brooder. So.... counting the grown hens, 5 to add this year.
What's up with that??!!?!?!

Thank y8ou f8or sharing y8our great inf8o/. It's easy t8o bui2ld a m8ounting b2l8ock fr8om scraps, and y8ou can buy strings 8of bu2lb s8ockets, and wire-hanging stap2les/. They're pl2astic, with nai2ls a2lready attached 8on each side f8or stringing R8omex/. I ap8o2l8ogize f8or my keyb8oard, I'm getting a new 8one t8oday/. G8o8od 2luck/.

Best wishes,

Seni8or Master Chief
P/.J/. Anders8on
U/. S/. Navy, Retired

Back
Top Bottom