The Shelly and Kevin Thread

Shelly being cute:
B5A92186-6C9A-4AD7-B829-E22F2C4E2EBB.jpeg

Shelly after she chipped her beak:
9E6057DA-68C2-422B-BF49-BCDF8C629065.jpeg

Kevin’s cracked beak:
This is when she refused to eat because it hurt too bad.
4AAA8765-7906-4469-A8BC-842930CA160B.jpeg

Kevin after the cracked piece fell off:
9764AF3E-7DFE-49A6-AB89-1D14DCC937B8.jpeg

Wow, I haven’t updated this thread for a while. It’s been cold lately, so nothing really has been going on other than that I have trimmed the girlies beaks down for this week, Kevin needs to lay any day now, and I also have a picture and a short story to share.

Kevin has started squatting now, and today she will not stop yelling! I’m not sure when her first egg will be laid, but it should be any day now! I’m so excited, and I really hope she doesn’t have too much trouble when laying it. I will keep everyone posted though.

Now, to my picture. Shelly got up early the other day to make her nest in the nesting box. She had been in there a long time, but there was still no egg, and my polish girls were getting impatient, waiting for her. They all know not to mess with my Shelly while she’s in there, and usually they leave her alone, but Bubs didn’t get the memo.🤦‍♀️
90C78070-2B40-44FF-8459-A4E376A97684.jpeg

Shelly was furious, and she made sure to not let Bubs take any of her precious eggs (laid by the other girls) to sit on. I’m sure Bubs probably just laid and hopped out, but my Shelly loves to sit on her eggs after they are laid, so she probably spent even more time hogging the nest box.

We only have one nest box at the moment, but we are planning on constructing a whole new setup that will have three nest boxes available to them. We have to wait until it gets warm though, to start.

SHE DID IT!! She was pushing for over 15 minutes, it was so hard for her. I’ll post a picture of the egg later, but for now, we are celebrating!
2863D4FA-4FE3-4406-8BC8-AD58DA80942A.jpeg

I never thought she would even make it this far. It wasn’t that long ago that she almost starved herself to death, and now look at her! I’m so proud of my Kevy, and I love her so much.❤️

Today was beak trimming day! I trimmed all three beaks. Shelly’s needs trimmed every 3-4 weeks because she’s good at grinding it herself, Kevin’s needs trimmed every 1-3 weeks, usually just the top beak, because she has a hard time with hers, and Booboo’s is all over the place.

Here is an adorable picture I got today-
445BD08A-FF86-40A9-AD8E-56E07A036055.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom