The Shelly and Kevin Thread

Pics
Shelly being a grump, yet again-
E6E15C85-E326-42A8-BBF8-B8E116685180.jpeg

Kevy-
55DEB99C-C1B5-4E46-82BB-DB813C3E4C22.jpeg

9AFF061F-9C23-4165-8181-4E85CE1DA0F8.jpeg

Yeah, her beak has gotten so much better! She has been stealing pieces of grass out of my other pullets’ mouths lately. She doesn’t act like her beak really effects her anymore!
That's great! I had a cross beak once, and I fixed it. Unless you was looking closely, you wouldn't of even known she had it. (I do want to test this further though, but I don't get cross beaks often.)
I know the pictures you posted of her last beak trim with the grinder, it looked very good. Maybe that's it?

Bless you for having the patience to work with these girls! They get to live out wonderful lives with you. ❤️

I am wondering, did you ever contact Alchemist Farms to get answers to why so many of your chicks from them developed crossbeak? If it’s genetic doesn’t that mean they are not choosing the best stock to breed? It just makes me sad because not everyone will have the time or patience to love birds who need a little extra help.

That's great! I had a cross beak once, and I fixed it. Unless you was looking closely, you wouldn't of even known she had it. (I do want to test this further though, but I don't get cross beaks often.)
I know the pictures you posted of her last beak trim with the grinder, it looked very good. Maybe that's it?
I’m so glad you fixed it! That sounds kinda like how my other crossbeak, Booboo’s beak is. The bottom beak is too long and the top beak is too curved.
I don’t think Shelly’s beak will ever be able to be fixed though. It’s crossed, so there is nothing I can do other than trim it for her. The grinder is basically what we were doing before (clipping it), but it’s slower and easier to use, so I’m actually able to trim their beaks myself.

Last edited:
Bless you for having the patience to work with these girls! They get to live out wonderful lives with you. ❤️

I am wondering, did you ever contact Alchemist Farms to get answers to why so many of your chicks from them developed crossbeak? If it’s genetic doesn’t that mean they are not choosing the best stock to breed? It just makes me sad because not everyone will have the time or patience to love birds who need a little extra help.
Thank you!:hugs

We did reach out to them before Shelly’s beak crossed, but I don’t think we did after. I can’t remember. I think Shelly’s beak was due to injury because of her cup incident, and I’m not sure on Kevy’s- possibly a vitamin deficiency. It could just be a coincidence, but they still don’t sell healthy birds.

Back
Top Bottom