The Side By Side Incubator PIC HEAVY

pickledchicken

Songster
7 Years
Feb 27, 2012
Sparta Tn.
I had built an incubator out of an old Pepsi cooler initially ( works great ) but I wanted something a little more user friendly, especially at candling time. I had trouble reaching back in between the trays to get hold of the eggs in order to candle them and the last thing I wanted was to ever drop one.

I also noticed the more turners and eggs I added the more the air flow was blocked. I had pondered adding another fan in the bottom but that still wasn't going to ease my candling dilemma. I have two side by side turners now rather than stacking the trays with very easy access to them from above. I will install a 225 watt incukit that I'll be taking out of my old incubator.

It's not the cheapest build but as this will be in the home I wanted something that was also pleasing to look at. The heater and fan will be mounted center if the middle facer this will blow heated air in all directions down and drawn back up to the center in a continuous cycle. I plan on using very thick plexi for the doors the 225 watt incukit should have no trouble controlling temp.

I will be using Deans connectors on the turner wires and cutting the large plugs off this will allow me to simply unplug them to clean things out as needed. I will also be building a separate hatcher in order to do some staggered hatching and keep things rolling. I will post more pics of my progress as things come together. Hope this helps

The original Pepsi Bator

The cardboard mock-up

Sides front and back pocket holes drilled ready for screws and glue

Finally coming together

Face frame glued and screwed

Ready for some stain and sealer

These are the small deans plugs I'll use on the turners i'll post
more pics as I get closer to being finished. CAUTION always
use the male connector on the turners and the female on the
power source.

Last edited:
That looks awesome. I am a newbie to hatching. I only hatched my first eggs under a broody last year. Eventually would like to incubate, but will wait til I have all of the other "Gotta have it"s done first -- power to the coop, 2nd run covered for days I don't let them free range, etc. Good luck. Wish I could add more, but for now, just say "cool".

Pickled- Once again another great project by you. I put my trays on drawer slides which makes it much easier to check eggs. Esp. after I dropped a tray of eggs. :(

Pickled- Once again another great project by you. I put my trays on drawer slides which makes it much easier to check eggs. Esp. after I dropped a tray of eggs.
sad.png
Chuck Thank You. I had kept picturing the whole egg dropping thing and it would play out in my mind over and over can't imagine your frustration on that one. I just wanted to build something with a layout that made sense and allowed better access to the eggs. I only have about 35.00 in the box itself the heavy plexi I want to use on the doors is what will hit the pocket.

Looks Great! I noticed that you are using the same probe thermometer/hygrometer I have - I purchased two of them last Spring thinking they would be good but, after my first hatch, I calibrate them = they are not accurate at all. I called the company and there is no way to adjust them but, they would send me a replacement but, I didn't bother. I just calibrate them every time before I start a hatch and also use one I know is dead on. Good Luck with your hatch and Thanks for sharing.

Looks Great! I noticed that you are using the same probe thermometer/hygrometer I have - I purchased two of them last Spring thinking they would be good but, after my first hatch, I calibrate them = they are not accurate at all. I called the company and there is no way to adjust them but, they would send me a replacement but, I didn't bother. I just calibrate them every time before I start a hatch and also use one I know is dead on. Good Luck with your hatch and Thanks for sharing.
I had often wondered about that hydrometer I'll have to check it's accuracy after this hatch. Thank you for the kudo's on the bator.

Back
Top Bottom