The SKUNK!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by the lone rhubarb, Jul 6, 2010.

1. the lone rhubarb

the lone rhubarb Out Of The Brooder

So the other night I go out to gather eggs, AND THERE IS THIS SKUNK EATING ALL OF THEM!!!!!! Now let me
    tell you about angry!!!! I was super mad so I thought I might try to scare it off, so I barked at it. Yes, BARKED
    at it!!!! It just curled into a ball and wouldn't leave. So it was time to call in the big guns. Litetrally, GUNS!!!!
    So I got dad and the ol .22 and we headed back out. He shot at it like 6 times or so, and wasn't hitting it,
    Now hes a good shot, so this was confusing. AND EVEN WHILE HE WAS SHOOTING IT WAS STILL TRYING
    TO EAT AN EGG!!!!!! So finally he got it and that was after it had sprayed the coop down gooood ;(-. So
    we come in, and all the cousins complain that Ismell terrible, so I had to change and put on a toooon of
    deodorent!!!!! lol but anyway that was just kind of interesting just thought I'd share it!!!! [​IMG])

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    HILARIOUS!! I have amental picture of the skunk gobbling down an egg while 22 bullets are kicking up the dirt all around it. Too funny!!!!!

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had trouble shooting skunks too, and I'm a pretty good shot, (and the skunk was in a trap!) I think they have super hard heads (or really tiny brains?). Since I was so close I thought it would be quickest but I'll never do that again, I'll go for the torso with a skunk.

//edit to add... did you know that skunks are a favorite meal of Great Horned Owls? Skunks think they're so immune to predators that they are very vulnerable to owls who have no sense of smell anyway, (no birds do actually) so GHOs love to dine on skunks. Just your predator trivia for the night I guess! lol

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  4. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    I’ve been told that tomato juice will neutralize Skunk odor. Never had to find out thank goodness.

5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:baking soda

dish soap

hydrogen peroxide

mix together, saturate affected areas. Don't store mixture, it will explode. Good luck

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I know what you mean, thought I had a possum eaten eggs, so I set up leg traps, (over kill, I set 9), went to check the next morning at 6 am, Dad lets the ducklings out about then and didn't want to catch a little duck, what a surprise to find a skunk in 5 of the traps (one skunk, not 5 skunks) yuk, it didn't spray till we shot it, also I advise do not throw the dead skunk in the trash can on mon for pick-up on fri, stinky stinky stinky

7. fordguy

fordguy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2007
    Quote:I believe some birds can smell. Our Turkey vulture probably has a sense of smell as well as having good eyesight - that's how they find dead animals. It has been said vultures can find a dead animal in a hollow tree. And I believe turkeys can smell things just below the surface which prompts them to scratch.

8. the lone rhubarb

the lone rhubarb Out Of The Brooder

Yea haha. Un fortunetly it's still sitting in the yard. EWWWWW!!!!! It really stinks and I've been
    hoping that someone would help me move it, but nobody has so o well [​IMG] Although the coop still
    smells terrible!!!! I'll try to try to use one of those remidies you guys mentioned [​IMG] thanks!!!! [​IMG]

9. LedgeWoods

LedgeWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Straight hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle might be your best bet for trying to neutralize the smell in the coop. Used it on our German Shepherd years ago when she found a skunk in the yard...then apparantly didn't learn her lesson because less than 2 weeks later she got sprayed again:sick. We used so much peroxide, she turned blonde - but didn't stink![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by