the smallest quail egg I have ever seen.......

beakmaster

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 3, 2013
Panama City, Florida
Ok, I have a few dozen A&M quail and they are begining to lay eggs and today I got an egg that is smaller than the diameter of a dime (see pics). My kids made me put it in the incubator, so I did. I kinda doubt it will hatch but you never know. I added 11 extra regular sized eggs just to make it worth the effort. I put them in my brinsea incubator. We shall see. I have never seen this before. Is it possible this is somehow gonna make a button quail? Is this normal?

Wow, that's tiny!
Could just be a fart egg (don't even know if they exist. just throwing out ideas).
lol.png
Hehe. Excuse my childish self.

I doubt a button quail would magically appear from coturnix quails, nor that anything will develop normally, but I'd be interested in seeing if anything grows during incubation.

Last edited:
Sometimes when my chickens first start laying they have very very tiny eggs, I wouldn't be surprised if they are not fertile. When they are starting to lay , usually you let them lay for a few weeks before you start to incubate. To make sure fertility isn't a problem, come on they are just beginning to figure out things haha!

Wow, that's tiny!
Could just be a fart egg (don't even know if they exist. just throwing out ideas).
lol.png
Hehe. Excuse my childish self.

I doubt a button quail would magically appear from coturnix quails, nor that anything will develop normally, but I'd be interested in seeing if anything grows during incubation.

it probably is a "fart egg".. we used to get one every now and then from our Coturnix.. never had a yolk in them though.. so incubating a true "fart egg" won't get you a chick!

It might upset your kids, but I'd want to crack it open to see what's going on inside - it is likely that there's no yolk in it. However if there is, that would be really interesting.

I get them all the time from my young females just starting to lay. I never incubate them as even if they were fertile (which I doubt they would be) the chick wouldn't survive incubation. I often get tiny eggs in a dark mushroomy/button quail colour which start getting bigger and lighter as the bird gets better at laying. Some of these tiny eggs have no yolk, some are nothing BUT yolk, and invariably they will float in water even when fresh so I don't bother eating them. Also get a fair few double yolkers, white eggs, softshelled eggs and odd coloured eggs from my girls just beginning to lay, and all of them will settle down and lay normally. I raise between 10 and 30 young girls per month so have seen all sorts of interesting things.

You definitely can't get a button quail from a coturnix egg :) That's like finding a tiny chicken egg and hoping to hatch a pigeon.

Cheers
B

Back
Top Bottom