The smell has me concerned.

Bigdogz1

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
I bought 2 gold sex links(guy said about 14 months, but i suspect around 8-9)at a swap and I didn't notice the smell till I got to the car. It's been 3 days and they still have a smell to them that isn't pleasant. Is this common, I don't see any cuts or any thing physically wrong, they have lost a few small feathers but I suspect this is due to them maturing. Am I freaking out about nothin or is there a disease that could cause this? The mans other animals/chickens seemed all in good health as did these, he just a lot of these(gold sex links). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with Whittni regarding the smell, could be sour/impacted crop. Isolate the birds and keep them away from your flock...biosecurity. My first thought was Infectious Coryza with the foul odor. Are there any respiratory symptoms, facial swelling in addition to the odor? Inspect them closely for external parasites and treat them for internal parasites while in quarantine. If you suspect coryza, I recommend that you cull them. Here's a link, scroll down to Infectious Coryza to include symptoms and read about it if you wish:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I will keep away from rest of flock and proceed from there. Thanks for tips/info

Back
Top Bottom