The smell has me concerned.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bigdogz1, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Bigdogz1

Bigdogz1 New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    I bought 2 gold sex links(guy said about 14 months, but i suspect around 8-9)at a swap and I didn't notice the smell till I got to the car. It's been 3 days and they still have a smell to them that isn't pleasant. Is this common, I don't see any cuts or any thing physically wrong, they have lost a few small feathers but I suspect this is due to them maturing. Am I freaking out about nothin or is there a disease that could cause this? The mans other animals/chickens seemed all in good health as did these, he just a lot of these(gold sex links). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    If the smell is coming from their mouths then the smell could be from "impacted crops". Some chickens just smell, you never know where they come from, they could have been standing in manure and in a gross, smelly coop. If its not their crops, maybe you can give them a bath?

This is how you wash a chicken:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-prepare-a-chicken-for-showing

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with Whittni regarding the smell, could be sour/impacted crop. Isolate the birds and keep them away from your flock...biosecurity. My first thought was Infectious Coryza with the foul odor. Are there any respiratory symptoms, facial swelling in addition to the odor? Inspect them closely for external parasites and treat them for internal parasites while in quarantine. If you suspect coryza, I recommend that you cull them. Here's a link, scroll down to Infectious Coryza to include symptoms and read about it if you wish:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. Bigdogz1

Bigdogz1 New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    I will keep away from rest of flock and proceed from there. Thanks for tips/info

5. ernie85017

ernie85017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Is the smell coming from their vents? Could be gleet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by