The Society of Crazy Chicken Ladies, A Guy, and a Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I can get it published...
never broke a bone. If I were to break an arm, for lack of a better word... I'd be screwed.
I think you are a great writer :)
Hell'o to other chicken ladies! I have a problem with one of my hens. She has been just standing
in one spot for the last two days....last night she did go in the coop......this morning she comes out
stands in on spot. I put food in front of her she won't eat, but I did see her drink a little bit of water this
morning, she never moved at all yesterday. Can any of you lades help me with advice?

ChickStreet
Definitely put this one in the emergency section, birds can't go long without food before they start shutting down inside. :( There will be a "sticky" thread at top you can copy and use to list any and all relevent details to best help with the diagnosis. Hope she pulls through.

My vet I have used for 17 yrs. country vet has chickens and ducks himself. Asked him about described to him the chicks had to cull. Slipped tendons and crooked toes. He confirmed the slipped tendons. Said it is a result of poor nutrition. I guess i won't be using the one brand of feed TSC carries anymore. I have some left and am supplementing with vitamins in the water.
Honestly, this was my first thought. :( Which feed was it, anyway? Both of our TSC brands are produced by purina, the dumor is the cheaper version. It gave my first chicks the runs the whole time they were on it, the next go-round i got a non-purina food and no issues.

Buuuut, the BRAND itself is not so much the issue as the BREED you are feeding. Orpingtons are heavily feathered, and because of that they need a higher level of protein while they are growing, or else they may be puny in the body when they are adults. (Feathers and muscle both require protein to develop) If you don't do it while they are growing it can't be remedied when adults. (This is what i read from an english site, and the orpingons are their specialty) I fed mine gamebird formula while she was growing, and she still ended up being puny.
idunno.gif

Yes, very sad day... My heart breaks for Darons bro and SIL. Atleast they got 40 minutes with their baby. 40 minutes of time to feel his heart, hear his breath, give him love. There is nothing that can compare to that tiny blessing.

This is one of the things i dream of, these are show quality birds. :) Greenfire farms, which is where they got their lavenders from, is supposed to be up there in quality. I was really shocked when i got my hatchery orpington, and she looked NOTHING like the orpingtons i saw in the books! She has a huge floppy rooish comb, her fuzz is not full or long...........The only orp-ish thing about her is her huge saddle and her color. Good broody mom, though, if you don't mind losing some skin while she's setting!

The lav's breed true, you will get more lav's if you have a roo of that color. Blue don't work that way, if you are interested in breeding.........

http://www.papspoultry.com/lavenderorpintons.htm

Oh no chicken drama. I was just worried that I wouldn't find her a place where she is happy. And let me tell you about Spike. He has moved to #1 chicken around her. I caught hubby holding him and talking to him yesterday. He always goes out there and talks to him. Elvis was his favorite but I think Elvis moved to #2 with him now. LOL
love.gif

Wow, this thread got off with a bang.. Then slowed... LOL. I guess we were all so excited to find other crazies.

Today I got the coops cleaned and the poop scraped. I got the garage finally cleaned out from the previous poopers, I mean tenants. I had a trio in there, then a pair after one passed, and then Mr. Fluffers passed and it was safe to force them to move and accept the move to the outside. Rod Stewart is doing a wonderful job for an 8 month old cockerel. He is taking Mr. Fluffers role up pretty decent, though he is smart enough to get the double hockey sticks out of Roger's way. LOL. Both Roger and Rod have their feathers full keeping the three rotten youngsters in line as well. LOL. Mostly Kazoo, who thinks he has become big man on campus. I really have to get pictures of these boys. They are really something pretty. White, black and salmon. A bit of lacing on the one from the Wyandotte side. All are muffed and bearded, all are feather footed. Kazoo has a Wyandotte comb, and the other two have a faverolle comb. It is so weird how they look. Just real pretty birds. And their sisters are super sweet also. One looks a lot like them, minus the pretty green tail feathers. One is all black like Skeeter, and rumpless. The other is mostly white with a bit of black and rumpless. Muffs and beards too. Oh, if the weren't related to their sisters... I'd really start a new breed. I'd call them favadottes, or wyanrolles. LOL I am seriously in need of sleep.

Chickstreet... I am wondering if there are any other symptoms? Is she puffed up, sneezing, diahrea... Is she an active layer and has she layed recently or quit suddenly? I would think egg bound first. Then also, is she pooping? Sometimes when it is stuck, they may not be able to poop... Anyway, if its egg binding, a warm bath, a bit of KY inserted in the vent to lube it up. If this is not the problem, is there mite or worm problem? Can you take a poop sample from her to the vet and get it checked to see if the load is overwhelming. If you can not do that, check to see how she feels weight wise when you pick her up. Is she bonier than she normal should be? This is also a good indication. If she has diahrea, what color is it? This will sometimes give an indication of what you may be looking at, worm-wise. Just cuz you do not see them, doesn't mean they aren't there. If the poop has already turned a bright green and watery, you may be already getting to the limit of lateness on fixing her up. Usually when it gets to this color, they are already nearing death. This I know to be personally true, and a bunch of reading I have done lately also indicated the same thing. BUT, I'd start with the egg binding first, eliminate that possiblility, then I'd go to overload of worms. Get some poultry drench in her to give her a boost and keep her energy up. Scrambled yolks, yogurt, cooked oats... Good luck with her, keep us posted.

Have a good night all. I have to get up for work at 3... yeah...
sickbyc.gif

Oh why oh why cant you be closer I would love a black show girl roo !!! isn't that always how it goes ... but then again as it currently stands in 6-8 months gonna already have to figure out how to move 55 birds 1600 miles lol how was everyone's day ?
Where are you going? That is a lot of birds to move!... He is yours for FREE if you want him...
big_smile.png

PA is beautiful! We camped near Hershey many years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom