The Society of Crazy Chicken Ladies, A Guy, and a Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to go check on birds... Oh, I am worried about leaving the abandoned silkie chicks in with Criptoe and her new chicks...

OLIVE!!!!! I honestly do not know if I should leave the chicks in the coop with the new mom, or if I am going to have to worry about coming out in the morning to injured chicks. I have the coop space, but I don't feel secure with the one coop yet... Not till I roof the run that is... Anyway, the mom is a NH/Fav cross, so she is actually a pretty sweet bird. She's actually tolerated the chicks in the coop with her, as long as they do not get in her nest. She will not let anyone in her nest but me, so much so that she goes in attack mode when any of the hens go near it. SO, should I move the silkie chicks or should the be ok? This is the first time I have had this situation. None of the other broodies have abandoned their chicks at such a young age... What would you do? I can not put up a divide in this coop. Just not possible really.

Nova -- Sorry, I haven't been paying attention. You have orphan chicks that are how old? And you're thinking of leaving them overnight with a broody who is ... on a nest? has JUST hatched chicks in the nest or eggs?

i need to fill in some dust bath holes myself but even if i wanted to tonights its too dark here already .. i am afraid they are gonna get them deep enough in that one corner to get out

My chickens are hole diggers big time. LOL. It is very funny to see a hole in the yard and then there is a chicken in it, but you do not see the chicken until you are actually looking down in the hole. I tell them they shouldn't try and dig a hole to China, but they do not listen. I mean, do they really want to be turned into a tastey chicken and udan noodles? Hmmmm... now I know what I should make for din din tomorrow... What chicken should I pick....

OH, and that nmad serema has ripped a bunch of crest feathers off the polish cockerel today. He was just terrorizing the SF cockerels, but now the polish boy too. I got ahold of Po-boy and check him out, and man... I swear I am going to make a serema coop in the next few weeks. Lock his mean hiney in it. There are 3 houses being built on my route right now. Time to stop and ask for cuttings.

mine just make them in the corner behind the smaller coop but its getting bad enough something might could get out or in ... ill have to remember to do that tommorow ..of course in the next few days the second pen will be connected there and they would just wander in with the jgs lol

LOL. My neighbor has 3 sheets of 3/4 ply! He said he'd let me have them for $7 a sheet. Its the $20 a sheet stuff. SHWEET! Now, Instead of plastic sheeting the summer coop on bottom like I was figuring on doing, I will wood it like I originally wanted to! YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom