The start of my chicken coop!

[E]thernet

Chirping
Jun 11, 2018
Melbourne, Australia.
So, over Friday and the weekend, I have finally started my chicken coop. The dimensions are as follow. 2.0 metre long - 0.86 metre wide and approximately 1.2 metre high. This is the plan that I am using.

metric

Here are some of the photos I took while building the coop. Really sorry for the crappy quality. They were shot using an old phone.
13.PNG

Start of the frame. This was on Friday. Had 2.0 metre 2x2's on either side, and 0.86 centimetre 2x2's on the inside to act as the base.

1.PNG

Finished up sawing on Sunday. Had to do some angle cuts and get every piece to their correct size.

2.PNG

3.PNG

Collecting sawdust to use in the coop later on.

4.PNG

The plan I am using. Yes, in metric. I live in Australia.

6.PNG

The frame when it was completed on Saturday. Really happy with how it turned out.
8.PNG
This is how I attached the 3FT 2x2's to the long side of the frame. Figured it would work better so the frame was more solid and wont be able to wiggle/shake.

9.PNG

All the wood needed to assemble the house. Measured properly.

10.PNG

11.PNG

This is how I am going to mount the vertical posts to the bottom of the frame, using multi grips.

12.PNG

Image of the backyard, in really low light. Finished working at around 6PM. Really gets dark at 6PM.

Well, those are all of the photos I have on me right now. I stayed home from school today and was hoping to start assembling the house by myself, to just try it out. If you want to see more photos, comment or watch the thread and I will keep it updated. Thank you so much for reading!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 7.PNG
    7.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Finished working at around 6PM. Really gets dark at 6PM.

:( at least the days are finally getting longer; I'm hanging out for October so we can get that daylight savings time back!

It's all looking good so far. Lap joints work well enough for chicken coops. I used them to attach the roofing on one of mine so I could just drop it on top and bolt it on. It kept what is a large coop reasonably modular.

I had to refer to the picture for metric though as for some reason you've listed everything in old-timey measurements here. :p

Can’t wait to see it finished! How big is the henhouse and run respectively? How many chickens will you be getting?

Not exactly sure, but I have a screenshot of the hen house measurements.

I stayed home today from school and will probably work on it today.

The run will be 5FT or 1.5 metres long.

I will be having 3 hens, not sure which breed but I have 3 that I like most. Buff Orpington, Sussex and Australorps. I will try to buy them as one day olds and have a small brooder to raise them until I can get the coop fully done up and ready for them to stay outside at around 4 - 6 weeks.

:( at least the days are finally getting longer; I'm hanging out for October so we can get that daylight savings time back!

It's all looking good so far. Lap joints work well enough for chicken coops. I used them to attach the roofing on one of mine so I could just drop it on top and bolt it on. It kept what is a large coop reasonably modular.

I had to refer to the picture for metric though as for some reason you've listed everything in old-timey measurements here. :p

Yeah, can't wait for the days to be longer. Will be able to stay outside longer with the chickens.

I was originally planning on just screwing the 0.86 metre pieces directly into the coop, but my Dad came and explained how the lap joints would work better. Haven't decided on a roof yet. Might buy a metal roofing so water can drip down, and might even integrate a small PVC pipe solution to collect rain water. Just baby steps at the moment. Don't want to get ahead of myself :D.

I changed the measurements to the ones I measured them with. Just saw that everyone uses imperial measurements and I was the unique one using a metric one :lol:.

Thanks for the comment though! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

View attachment 1450285 Started building the actual coop section of my chicken coop. I was really happy with how it turned out. It is solid, and isn't wobbly.

View attachment 1450286
This is it placed on the main frame.

View attachment 1450287
But this is what happened. The frame is too long. We will take the supports off of the frame and cut them down to size, and adjusting the size of the lap joint.

View attachment 1450288Same as the other side.

View attachment 1450289 The coop part is connected using lap joints. Not the best job, but this is my first coop, and it's a learning journey.

View attachment 1450290
These are the wood pieces for the vertical roof. They fit alright, but they will have to be adjusted. They don't fit to the house part of the coop as they were cut too short. We will have to make adjustments.

If you have any questions or want more photos, reply!

PLAN: http://www.bettaliving.org/diy-plans/63/chicken-coop-plans

Back
Top Bottom