The Stink!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Animallover606, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Animallover606

Animallover606 Songster

Apr 12, 2008
    Who new that eggs could stink so much. [​IMG] I walk in today and am blasted with I think the worst smell that I will ever smell. So what I did was open up the lid (which came with a whole new, more powerful wave of stink) and Dare I say it sniffed them all. I sniffed them all until I found the four culprits. So what I did was toss them away and didn't dare to look inside because I would've felt horrible. Anyway who else has encountered this stink was it as bad as mine, and wat did you do? I have had eggs blow up before and didn't want it to happen again so I got rid of them as soon as possible.

2. Higins00

Higins00 Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Yup, same thing. The smell test and then the toss. Don't look back yuck pu!

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    eww, sorry 'bout your luck and having to deal with that smell!

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Be thankful that they did not explode in there, or worse ... in your face!

Last winter I had a broody silkie. I checked her eggs and found stinky exploded one. I removed it (shell was all that was left). I picked up the other ones to check them and one exploded in my hand and spewed in my face. OMG, it was worse than being sprayed by a skunk!

5. Animallover606

Animallover606 Songster

Apr 12, 2008
    I am thankful as well as a bit humored. Is it at the point where you look back at the experience and laugh? Because I am lauging right now. That must've been horrible! I thought broodies got rid of their bad eggs though?humored

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Oh yes, I can laugh now! It was awful, for sure! OMG, I showered and scrubbed over and over again! [​IMG]

7. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Note to self: Don't read this thread during lunch... [​IMG]

8. Animallover606

Animallover606 Songster

Apr 12, 2008
    [​IMG]

9. Coldweatherbirds

Coldweatherbirds Chirping

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Maine
    So it will be that noticeable before they pop? I don't want any exploding eggs, but I don't plan on candling all 34 either. Gag on the face exploding post! I am uber sensitive to odors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: