The store where I buy feed is getting chicks this spring

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Henrietta23, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    They didn't sell any last year, the year I was looking to buy chicks for the first time. I just went to buy dog food today and there was the sign "Have you ordered your chicks yet?" My husband was waiting in the car. He took the news well when I told him I ordered 6 chicks with someone else last week. He's going to insist on doing all the pet food shopping till chick season passes. Oh, wait, I didn't tell him about the sign!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    [​IMG]

My husband gets stuck in that position too! I think it's great he wants "help" with the chores and errands! That'll teach 'em.

3. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    The DW and I enable each other! [​IMG] We are hopeless [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    ya my local farm supply got them last year and they are getting alot more of an assortment this year ducks and turkey too which two turkey will be added to my flock one for thanks giving and one for christmas lol serious and more chicks but i will look at their wing to sex them so i dont get any roos this time

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

sexing by WING??? tell me more!

6. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sexing by wing feathers only works if the chickens are specifically bred for that trait. Otherwise, it's just luck.

So, Henrietta, you ordered 6, but are you coming home with more? LOL Belt Hatchery is close to us, so all the feed stores around here carry chicks. I swear, I go in knowing that I want exactly x-number of chicks, and every darn time I come out with more. I justify it by telling myself that I'm just being practical because there is always a chance that I will lose a chick or two! Funny thing is, I've never had a chick from the feed store die after I got it home. Still. . . I'd hate to be caught short!!! Fess up, Henrietta, how many are you really coming home with? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I was gonna say it, but skeeter beat me to it. The parent stock have to be bred a certain way for the chicks to be feather sexed.

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:You are just like me. Go into TSC for three chicks come out with 5.
    Or my rule for hatching. set 20 eggs if you want 5 pullets. Only half will hatch and of those half are roos. Cant argue with that logic, plus you can sell the surplus and make the money back you spend on the eggs.

OP:
    You need to camp out in front of the feed store right now.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  9. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I didn't order any! yet

10. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    ive always used that technique and its always seemed to work for me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by