The story of my White Leghorn spy chicken

Dec 5, 2020
Australia
I once got 3 pullets, one of them a White Leghorn. When I got them home I was putting them in the chook house so they could get used to their new home when my White Leghorn, Yuki, took off and ran under our house. I searched for ages but I could not find her. I was worried because we were out in the country and you could see dingo's on the hill in the distance every so often and you could hear them howling at night. So I went to bed feeling very uneasy. It seems there was no reason for me to worry though because the next morning when I came outside there she was wandering round the chook house. So the next night she went into the chook house ( much to my relief) and we were all happy. Then about 6 weeks later she had grown a big red comb and was ready to lay. She would also spy on us all of the time which was quite funny. We would be in the kitchen getting a drink or something and would turn around to see Yuki staring at us from one of the windows, literally staring. We would just stand looking at each other until I made a move for the door and then down she would jump from the deck chair to come and greet me. Such a funny girl! Then we moved to another house in the country and her comb was flopped over hiding one side of her face, by now she had already started laying. One day I had just fed the chickens and was going back inside when I heard a big splash and a chicken squawking so I rushed back out to find Yuki all wet and soaking. As soon as she saw me she came towards me hoping I had food. Her face was bright red so I think she was a little embarrassed. I looked in the big drinking trough and the water was all upset with one of Yuki's white feathers in it, poor Yuki! Then one time my Dad was inside the house and I was in the shed that adjoined the house. Yuki was next to me watching my Dad inside the house. My Dad was watching her too and when he went out the sliding door round the front of the house Yuki turned to run, then she went back to look at Dad again to make sure he was going outside. When she saw that he was she ran as fast as she could to dash around the house to catch up to Dad. I really do love her, sadly when we moved from that place we had to leave her and all of the others with a women in the area. I miss them all. I will be posting stories of all my other chickens eventually.I will put up a picture of Yuki sometime. I hope that you enjoyed this true story!

I once got 3 pullets, one of them a White Leghorn. When I got them home I was putting them in the chook house so they could get used to their new home when my White Leghorn, Yuki, took off and ran under our house. I searched for ages but I could not find her. I was worried because we were out in the country and you could see dingo's on the hill in the distance every so often and you could hear them howling at night. So I went to bed feeling very uneasy. It seems there was no reason for me to worry though because the next morning when I came outside there she was wandering round the chook house. So the next night she went into the chook house ( much to my relief) and we were all happy. Then about 6 weeks later she had grown a big red comb and was ready to lay. She would also spy on us all of the time which was quite funny. We would be in the kitchen getting a drink or something and would turn around to see Yuki staring at us from one of the windows, literally staring. We would just stand looking at each other until I made a move for the door and then down she would jump from the deck chair to come and greet me. Such a funny girl! Then we moved to another house in the country and her comb was flopped over hiding one side of her face, by now she had already started laying. One day I had just fed the chickens and was going back inside when I heard a big splash and a chicken squawking so I rushed back out to find Yuki all wet and soaking. As soon as she saw me she came towards me hoping I had food. Her face was bright red so I think she was a little embarrassed. I looked in the big drinking trough and the water was all upset with one of Yuki's white feathers in it, poor Yuki! Then one time my Dad was inside the house and I was in the shed that adjoined the house. Yuki was next to me watching my Dad inside the house. My Dad was watching her too and when he went out the sliding door round the front of the house Yuki turned to run, then she went back to look at Dad again to make sure he was going outside. When she saw that he was she ran as fast as she could to dash around the house to catch up to Dad. I really do love her, sadly when we moved from that place we had to leave her and all of the others with a women in the area. I miss them all. I will be posting stories of all my other chickens eventually.I will put up a picture of Yuki sometime. I hope that you enjoyed this true story!
I love your stories. They remind me of my dear leghorn Daisy. Daisy was the greatest hen ever. She was obsessed with me and would do anything to hang out with us. This is one of my favorite photos where she flew up to eat out of a container of left over lasagna before I put it on the ground for everytime to share.
20200902_204135.jpg

I can't wait to see pictures of Yuki.

I love your stories. They remind me of my dear leghorn Daisy. Daisy was the greatest hen ever. She was obsessed with me and would do anything to hang out with us. This is one of my favorite photos where she flew up to eat out of a container of left over lasagna before I put it on the ground for everytime to share.
View attachment 2440948

I can't wait to see pictures of Yuki.
Thank you, I love your stories too! Wow, Daisy must really want to hang out with you to jump all the way up there!!! She must be quite heavy too! Yes, I will post photos of Yuki soon!

Back
Top Bottom