The story of Winnie and Luci!

Awwww! They are sooo cute. Look just like Winnie :D!

My friend got another 3 weeks apart.. I am glad I done it sooner rather than later. Do feel like I have lost my little baby in a way. Just hope she doesn't grow to be scared of me. :( Hate it when that happens!!

Oh, I hope she won't grow to be scared, it seems unlikely with the care you are giving her.
Two of my runners we hand raised indoors, and though runners are supposed to be one of the most shy and nervous breeds they are super friendly. One will come snuggle up to me in the run looking for treats and pets and she goes on regular class visits doing great with a crowd of kids from preschool age on up. My kids don't think a school year is complete without a class visit by their friendly pet duck. Its great for the city kids in their classes to be able to feed her peas, feel her feathers and warm bill and learn about duck biology. Even our least friendly duck that we got as an adult will still run up to eat treats from our hands.

@Orca5094 - Awwww. They are so beautiful!!! What breed are they? I can't believe how big they are at 3 1/2 weeks. They are going to be beautiful ducks though! :)

@CalBells - Really? That is the cutest thing ever! I really hope Winnie and Luci will grow up to be like yours!! You must have spent a lot of time with them to get them so friendly. How adorable. My other ducks are scared of me. We had two from ducklings.. they will eat out of my hand but wont come for snuggles :(

This is Winnie and Luci on my bed this morning. Luci has grown like mad since she came here. I don't think her previous owners were feeding enough. She was sooo tiny. She is constantly eating now though. :)
I love winnie's two light patches on her eyes. I don't know whether she is crossed with a Saxony as I have never seen that on a Cayuga duckling before?

@Orca5094 - Awwww. They are so beautiful!!! What breed are they? I can't believe how big they are at 3 1/2 weeks. They are going to be beautiful ducks though! :)

@CalBells - Really? That is the cutest thing ever! I really hope Winnie and Luci will grow up to be like yours!! You must have spent a lot of time with them to get them so friendly. How adorable. My other ducks are scared of me. We had two from ducklings.. they will eat out of my hand but wont come for snuggles :(

This is Winnie and Luci on my bed this morning. Luci has grown like mad since she came here. I don't think her previous owners were feeding enough. She was sooo tiny. She is constantly eating now though. :)
I love winnie's two light patches on her eyes. I don't know whether she is crossed with a Saxony as I have never seen that on a Cayuga duckling before?
They are so precious, and i can tell Luci has grown. maybe you can encourage the previous owners to give food and water 24/7 for newly hatched ducklings some just don't know

Last edited:
They are so precious, and i can tell Luci has grown. maybe you can encourage the previous owners to give food and water 24/7 for newly hatched ducklings some just don't knoI think
Thank you! :D I think I might do Lydia. She is the same age as Winnie but was the size of a 2 day old duckling. She is definitely catching up now. I know the person had over 20 ducklings so maybe it couldn't get a look in with the food. So glad I have her with me so I can look after her! She follows Winnie around everywhere. It's so funny to watch!

Thank you! :D I think I might do Lydia. She is the same age as Winnie but was the size of a 2 day old duckling. She is definitely catching up now. I know the person had over 20 ducklings so maybe it couldn't get a look in with the food. So glad I have her with me so I can look after her! She follows Winnie around everywhere. It's so funny to watch!
Best friends already very sweet. and having 20 ducklings makes me wonder if some may not be getting to food like they should. hopefully they are putting out multiple feeders and waterers too.

Last edited:
Best friends already very sweet. and having 20 ducklings makes me wonder if some may not be getting to food like they should. hopefully they are putting out multiple feeders and waterers too.
I hope so! I will suggest that to them. Poor little Luci. Atleast she is growing big and strong now. :)

So CUTE! Sounds like Luci is lucky to have found a home with your and Winnie! My duck that comes up for snuggles is probably just looking for treats, but since she puts up with snuggles, I'll take it! :) I think lots of exposure to loud kids who's swing and climbing tree are in the middle of their run have made my older ducks very tame. I am hopeful that the babies that mama is brooding will calm down over time, right now they are super freaked by people!

Last edited:

They are Cayuga mixes. Their mom is a Cayuga, dad is a Rouen. :)

Love your updated pic of Winnie and Luci! They are too cute. Winnie is definitely growing, too. ^-^

@CalBells - Awwww. I wish mine would snuggle with me even if it is only for treats! Mine grab the mealworms from my hand and run off! Haha. Hopefully they will.. How do you manage letting the mum sit on the eggs? Mine keep making nests but I have to put them in at night so they can't sit on them :(

@Orca5094 - They are absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to hatch some Cayuga mixes! Going to save for a new incubator first though.

Sorry for spamming photos but have to share this one. Only taken on the Iphone but I adore it!!

@CalBells - Awwww. I wish mine would snuggle with me even if it is only for treats! Mine grab the mealworms from my hand and run off! Haha. Hopefully they will.. How do you manage letting the mum sit on the eggs? Mine keep making nests but I have to put them in at night so they can't sit on them :(

@Orca5094 - They are absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to hatch some Cayuga mixes! Going to save for a new incubator first though.

Sorry for spamming photos but have to share this one. Only taken on the Iphone but I adore it!!

SUPER DUCKS!!!
love.gif
that one should be new avatar
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom