The stupidest thing a chicken has ever done!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
We don't want to take any chances on accidents between my free range birds and our two german shepherds, therefore we walk the dogs on a leash during the day while the chickens free range. Most of the adult chickens stay out of the fenced yard, but some of the younger ones still slip in every once in awhile.

Yesterday I'm walking our younger GSD Kane around the yard when my little polish Pearl sees me. She comes running. I automatically tightened my hold on Kane's leash even though both of the dogs are good about ignoring the chickens.

Last week or the week before Pearl pushed her luck and scared the tar outta Kane by sneaking up and pecking him on the back of the leg. Pearl is convinced that anything I have is food, including a 100+ lb. dog. Thankfully it was Kane she pecked and not our older GSD Jax; who might have reacted differently.

So back to yesterday evening. Kane and I are walking and here comes Pearl. Kane stopped and tilted his head to study her. Pearl keeps coming. Kane keeps watching. Pearl walked right up to Kane and pecked him on the nose.
ep.gif

I swear if Kane were to open his mouth, Pearl would fly right in.

I love my little Pearl, but she gives a whole new meaning to dumb cluck!
gig.gif

Quote:
I'm not sure if they are ditzy by nature or if they are just clowns. Ozzy the polish roo is funny, but Pearl is a comedian through and through.

Are you sure she isn't just trying to befriend the dog? My production red hen, Hawk, is quite a buddy to our Belgian Malinois (think hyper short haired GS). She likes to sneak up and yank Vixeys butt fur. When she turns around Hawk then "play bows", growling, fluffing her neck out and lowering her head. They really do play. Kinda scary for me to watch, but in 1.5 years the hen has never been touched. The dog however has been scratched and pecked repeatedly...

This dog will wake me up barking if there is the slightest fuss in the hen house, even in the dead of night.

wood&feathers :

This dog will wake me up barking if there is the slightest fuss in the hen house, even in the dead of night.

That is a GREAT thing to have!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom