The Sussex thread!

Does anyone have, or know of anyone who has, SS hatching eggs in North Central Texas or South Central Oklahoma? Coyotes got 3 of my pullets last summer and all I have left is one SS hen and a Buff Orpington rooster. The rooster will be going in the freezer real soon. I just hatched my first chick yesterday and have another one pipping now. But I'd like pure SS. Thanks!

Does anyone have, or know of anyone who has, SS hatching eggs in North Central Texas or South Central Oklahoma? Coyotes got 3 of my pullets last summer and all I have left is one SS hen and a Buff Orpington rooster. The rooster will be going in the freezer real soon. I just hatched my first chick yesterday and have another one pipping now. But I'd like pure SS. Thanks!
Tony Albritton up in Idaho at Featherhills Farm has lovely top winning large fowl Speckled Sussex.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/433985/feather-hills-farm-heritage-hatchery ( this thread says he is in WA State. He used to be and then moved to ID where he is now)
Why not contact him and see if he sold any to someone in your area? You might be able to get chicks from them this year and avoid the shipping. In Speckleds you want older chicks. Because they're a tri-colored variety , they are older when selected for color quality. About 3-4 weeks older. Don't be upset of the breeder only offers older chicks. That would be the reason.
Best,
Karen and the Light Sussex in western PA ( Brrrr!)

Last edited:
1656187_10200515930660424_1160472340_n.jpg

My mini Buff Sussex (her mother was a purebred buff sussex and her father was a white Old English Game bantam, so she's just come out like a perfect miniature one) laid her first egg 2 days ago!
She laid her second one today, so proud! I reared her from an egg 19 weeks ago.
And what's even better, is that I was there when she laid it. I'd just come back from the shops and I noticed her running around, a bit like some one who needed the toilet but didn't know where a toilet was.

I'd seen her investigating the nest box before, and after a couple of minutes she made a b line for it. After about 10 minutes of rearranging and straw, pecking at the woodwork, looking a little bog-eyed, she stood up and I had a look, and there it was, her little egg...admittedly she looked pretty confused and a little startled.

Here she is!
wee.gif

My mini Buff Sussex (her mother was a purebred buff sussex and her father was a white Old English Game bantam, so she's just come out like a perfect miniature one) laid her first egg 2 days ago! She laid her second one today, so proud! I reared her from an egg 19 weeks ago. And what's even better, is that I was there when she laid it. I'd just come back from the shops and I noticed her running around, a bit like some one who needed the toilet but didn't know where a toilet was. I'd seen her investigating the nest box before, and after a couple of minutes she made a b line for it. After about 10 minutes of rearranging and straw, pecking at the woodwork, looking a little bog-eyed, she stood up and I had a look, and there it was, her little egg...admittedly she looked pretty confused and a little startled. Here she is! :weee
nice little hen. Hope you get what you are looking for. Bill

How loud are the roosters? I know they're a large breed, and will probably crow louder than, say, a banty, but are they tornado siren loud like orphingtons? I like their showy pattern, but I'm not sure I want a missile siren in my yard.
:/

How loud are the roosters? I know they're a large breed, and will probably crow louder than, say, a banty, but are they tornado siren loud like orphingtons? I like their showy pattern, but I'm not sure I want a missile siren in my yard.
hmm.png
Actually, the Speckled Sussex roosters I've had actually have really low, quiet crows. Far less shrill than bantys or even other standard sized roosters I've had.

I have to admit, I wasn't particularly impressed with the speckled coloration until I saw Johnn's hen. I like minimal speckling I guess. in the ones with too much speckling, it is distracting, expecially around the head.

now I want some...but not just any old speckled sussex. I want JOHNN's speckled sussex hen. LOL

I have to admit, I wasn't particularly impressed with the speckled coloration until I saw Johnn's hen. I like minimal speckling I guess. in the ones with too much speckling, it is distracting, expecially around the head.

now I want some...but not just any old speckled sussex. I want JOHNN's speckled sussex hen. LOL
Sent you a private message.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom