The Sussex thread!

How do these chooks do with dogs. We have a 2 year old cavalier king charles spaniel who is inquisitive and likes to chase . would it be a bad idea to have these or is there another breed which is more suitable

As a rule dogs and chickens don't mix. Even a toy breed can kill a full sized chicken. There are folks who have trained their dogs to not scare/ chase birds but spaniels are bred to flush and retrieve birds. It is in her genes. I would always keep her away/fenced/ or supervised when dealing with chickens.

How do these chooks do with dogs. We have a 2 year old cavalier king charles spaniel who is inquisitive and likes to chase . would it be a bad idea to have these or is there another breed which is more suitable
I think it depends more on the dog than the breed of chicken. I have 2 Jack Russell terriers, my female was a notorious chicken killer and the male would join in. They are now around my chickens with me without chasing them. I still don't let them near the chickens when I'm not there but I see a lot of improvement. What worked for my JRT was playing ball with her around the chickens. She ignored the chickens and went for the ball and I've been doing that for a while. She now totally ignores the chickens! Jack Russell Terriers were also bred as hunters, and their prey instinct is very high, I guess the point I'm trying to get at is to use your knowledge about what your dog likes. A game of fetch, or treats or whatever, and play with her between your chickens (on-lead first!) and see if that makes the introduction easier...

1798826_10200482663668770_59913508_n.jpg

1901122_10200482792031979_3845335_n.jpg

So I am getting this breed at the end of February, and I am wondering if there is a reliable way to sex day-old speckled sussex chicks. I haven't found much info on this topic at all, and I would love to know how, whether its by coloring or feathering. I live in the city limits and I am only allowed 5 chickens (and no roosters) , so I want to get the right gender the first time. TIA

Hens or Roos?

Hi there,
I bought two 1 1/2 week old chicks yesterday.
One is a buff sussex and the other is a mix of a buff sussex x rhode rock apparently...

The buff sussex is called Porridge, he/she was much more ginger than the others that hatched who were buff sussex's, they were almost white.
The buff sussex x rhode rock is called Henrietta and has very long prime feathers.

Here are some photos and I'll post close-ups of feathers and full body shots tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom