The Sussex thread!

Yes, I drool when I check out hatching eggs in the U.K. Number of listings for bantam Speckled Sussex hatching eggs currently listed on eBay- UK is -5-. Number of listing on eBay- U.S. is -0-.
hit.gif
:( Have you tried putting a "wanted" thread up on the hatch eggs for sale section on here?

:( Have you tried putting a "wanted" thread up on the hatch eggs for sale section on here?

Yes, I thought about doing so once I finish hatching and rearing my current project, a few buff barred bantam cochins from Lynne at Wingshadows Hacienda.

In the meantime, I've actually been enjoying the search and have learned a lot regarding the top lines and breeders of bantam Speckled Sussex in the U.S. Most don't sell hatching eggs though, unfortunately. But I have located one that may.
And I've been feasting on pictures of Dorothy and the other beautiful Sussex posted on this thread.
love.gif

Yes, I thought about doing so once I finish hatching and rearing my current project, a few buff barred bantam cochins from Lynne at Wingshadows Hacienda.

In the meantime, I've actually been enjoying the search and have learned a lot regarding the top lines and breeders of bantam Speckled Sussex in the U.S. Most don't sell hatching eggs though, unfortunately. But I have located one that may.
And I've been feasting on pictures of Dorothy and the other beautiful Sussex posted on this thread.
love.gif
Thanks! :)

10152463_10200802791911776_2030066603296749020_n.jpg

Bella and dotty. They are sisters (obviously not through blood) but they were brought up by the same broody. Bella was a year before and she took dotty and lily in when her mam left them. She's not very nice to her now though, but it is Bella
1508171_10200802030012729_1348830606079300653_n.jpg

i have 7 Sussex chickens they are adorable seem much more attentive to humans than bjgs ..they are a week old haven't grown as quick as my bjgs. but I am enjoying them very much. cant wait to see what i have when they grow up colors in them and male or female..good luck everyone with ur chicks...

i have 7 Sussex chickens they are adorable seem much more attentive to humans than bjgs ..they are a week old haven't grown as quick as my bjgs. but I am enjoying them very much. cant wait to see what i have when they grow up colors in them and male or female..good luck everyone with ur chicks...

Would love to see pics if you have them.....

love.gif
Hi BooPeeps.
In Speckled Sussex one does better to start with started birds. That's because it is a tricolor variety and the are selected for excellence at an older age.
Like 12 weeks instead of 8. It's also why youw ant to buy from a veteran, constantly winning, linebred strain for your foundation stock. Do not cross strains
to found your flock in this variety.
It takes decades to get the genes stable enough to reliably reproduce this color pattern. Crossing strains, unless done
under the tutelage of a veteran breeder can set you back years. Top bantam Speckeld strains are Overton, Skytop, Mongold and crosses between these
three strains ( because they were done by veteran breeders). And people who have these strains like paintedfeathersfarm, Adam Loeffel in KY, and others.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom