The Sussex thread!

I have a 8 month old Speckled Sussex rooster is agressive with me, but all my wife or I have to do is holler at him or give a gentle kick and he turns tail. What's the worst he can do? The only time I get angry with him is when he gets aggressive with the hens or the Black Star rooster. I catch him and put him in solitary confinement for 8 hours or more when he really annoys me. I read here in another thread that you should pin an aggressive roo to the ground firmly from behind and then pinch the back of their neck lightly for a minute to establish dominance.
hide.gif
What is the worst he can do? He can leave you mentally scared if you are always on the lookout over your shoulder for that darned roo. I was attacked by my friend's roo and he really got me on the legs, thru my jeans, with his spurs. I was totally unsuspecting. Now, I won't let a roo out of my sight unless he proves friendly or indifferent.

Not saying you need to do anything but protect unsuspecting people.
wink.png
It's still a painful joke with my friend about her attack rooster.

I have a 8 month old Speckled Sussex rooster is agressive with me, but all my wife or I have to do is holler at him or give a gentle kick and he turns tail. What's the worst he can do? The only time I get angry with him is when he gets aggressive with the hens or the Black Star rooster. I catch him and put him in solitary confinement for 8 hours or more when he really annoys me. I read here in another thread that you should pin an aggressive roo to the ground firmly from behind and then pinch the back of their neck lightly for a minute to establish dominance.

He hasn't attacked my in a few days. My fear is him attacking my niece and nephew. ages 5 and 8,so they are small. Onc he goes after them he's going into the stew. I won't put up with kids getting attacked.

Maybe you can teach the kids how to dismiss the rooster and all can live in peace? I know familes who live with assertive roos and they don't get hurt. The rooster learned not to mess with the kids and the kids learn not to antagonize the roosters.

I just wouldn't take the position of "what can they do."
wink.png

Hope you get some good advice and it works out for you!

100% confirmation that my SS is laying. We got 4 light brown eggs from my girls (SS, 2 Buffs & a Dominique). When you look closely, you can see a pinkish tint on the egg I believe belongs to Speckles, but unless you were looking for it, you probably couldn't see the difference.

This is Speckles when she was younger. Since she started laying, she has gotten a lot sweeter. All of my birds will allow me to pet and pick them up (finally!!!).

Not sure which was hers, but the fact that she is contributing is enough for me!

Well since we've started letting him out earlier he has calmed and hasn't attacked me in 2 days...lets hope it stays like this. We usually leave him out around 9, I've been letting everyone out at 7:30-8 and he suddenly has no interest in attacking me. He will come in the coop with me when I gather eggs in the morning and eat, but totally ignores me. Looks like he wont become stew, afterall1

100% confirmation that my SS is laying. We got 4 light brown eggs from my girls (SS, 2 Buffs & a Dominique). When you look closely, you can see a pinkish tint on the egg I believe belongs to Speckles, but unless you were looking for it, you probably couldn't see the difference.

This is Speckles when she was younger. Since she started laying, she has gotten a lot sweeter. All of my birds will allow me to pet and pick them up (finally!!!).

Not sure which was hers, but the fact that she is contributing is enough for me!

Beautiful! I believe the smaller pink tinged eggs are hers they look like my Punchkin's eggs! They would be eggs 1 and 6 from the top!

I'm very eggcited! My largest hen is squatting. ( The one on my head. She has outgrown the need to be on my head.
wink.png
) I bent down to pet her yesterday and she squatted right down and stayed there. Her comb and wattles have been red for a couple weeks now. Getting bigger, too. She is 18 weeks today.
ya.gif
One of the others is getting red now. The other 2 are farther behind in their development.

Last edited:
We have eggs due to be hatched any day now.2 are speckled Sussex, 3 are ss/Red sex link mixed, I have one that could be either of above. So far everyone is developing and alive. But no counting chickens until they are actually hatched. Here is the proud dad to be :)

Well since we've started letting him out earlier he has calmed and hasn't attacked me in 2 days...lets hope it stays like this. We usually leave him out around 9, I've been letting everyone out at 7:30-8 and he suddenly has no interest in attacking me. He will come in the coop with me when I gather eggs in the morning and eat, but totally ignores me. Looks like he wont become stew, afterall1

Seems he would easily turn out to be a good roo. If he should come at you, you come at him looking him straight in the eye, and keep making him back up and back up....every time. Do not back up. Just keep stalking him. Do this each time and you will be telling him that you are the alpha roo- in roo-speak.

Back
Top Bottom