The Sussex thread!

I have a few speckled sussex babies and was wondering if this breed tends to be overly friendly? They try to follow me out of the stall when I leave. They also peck and hold onto my pants until I scoop them up and cuddle them (they just started this a few days ago). It's just as sweet as a jelly covered jelly bean! I'm just adoring this breed. Anyways, just wondering if this is a common trait. Thanks!

yes ss are very loving follow you all over ...peck at pants shoes laces..talk to you...love them ...even rooster not bad..good luck mine lay plenty of eggs..

Awesome! Glad to hear others are experiencing the same trait with their Sussex
smile.png

I am buying speckled Sussex and have a question about gender. How early can you tell if its hen or a rooster with this breed?
We can only get 5 birds, so I would like 4 hens and a rooster. I have to choose between 12 week old chicks and 1 year old.
Extra info : Birds will free range so its important they are tame (2 small kids) and I am worried 1 year old chickens are too old to tame. On the other hand I can't bear to have to get rid of extra roosters if the gender can't be determined at 12 weeks?
Thanks,
StitchGirl

I am buying speckled Sussex and have a question about gender. How early can you tell if its hen or a rooster with this breed?
We can only get 5 birds, so I would like 4 hens and a rooster. I have to choose between 12 week old chicks and 1 year old.
Extra info : Birds will free range so its important they are tame (2 small kids) and I am worried 1 year old chickens are too old to tame. On the other hand I can't bear to have to get rid of extra roosters if the gender can't be determined at 12 weeks?
Thanks,
StitchGirl

I was able to sex mine at 4 weeks. B look for comb development as well as comb color. Feather development and saddle feathers. Hens will have rounded saddle feathers. Cockerels will have pointed saddle feathers.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering kada6305!
Just to clarify- roos would have red/pink comb and pullets yellow comb"? And do roos at this stage have that "gap" in the saddle feathers?
I was talking to à lady who told me speckled Sussex can not be sexed until way older than 12 weeks, more towards à year. She has 1 year old chickens so maybe she was just trying to unload them.
I don't know will I be able to pick pullets myself at 12 weeks old. I am not sure i should even try but i àm reluctant to get older ones.

Thanks for answering kada6305!
Just to clarify- roos would have red/pink comb and pullets yellow comb"? And do roos at this stage have that "gap" in the saddle feathers?
I was talking to à lady who told me speckled Sussex can not be sexed until way older than 12 weeks, more towards à year. She has 1 year old chickens so maybe she was just trying to unload them.
I don't know will I be able to pick pullets myself at 12 weeks old. I am not sure i should even try but i àm reluctant to get older ones.

I'll post photos from my 12 week old green and roster in s bit. Maybe that will help
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom