The Sussex thread!

I might be selling some this spring. Just depends. I have to get NPIP cert first. I will let you know as soon as I come NPIP. trying to figure out right people to contact.
Good success with that, sigh. I am in western PA and contacted my local NPIP person. She told me not to even bother. Said there was so much extra requirements attached to the regular NPIP requirements by the Commonwealth that it was almost impossible to get NPIP in PA. Said in the time she had been doing it, of all the folks she had tried to help, only 2 had succeeded. Too much money and red tape involved, she said.
Best,
Karen

My SS babies are hatching in very different shades. Is that normal?

First two:

Second two:

I want some of the specked Sussex Chicks they a awesom
Looking chicken.. I hope to get some someday

My SS babies are hatching in very different shades. Is that normal?

First two:

Second two:

I get chipmunk, blond and a mixture of the 2. All the ones that hatched for the EHAL are chipmunk, with some being a little more blond. BTW, so far, all my blond chicks have been cockerels.

I get chipmunk, blond and a mixture of the 2. All the ones that hatched for the EHAL are chipmunk, with some being a little more blond. BTW, so far, all my blond chicks have been cockerels.
Thanks! I'll get a pic when mine are all separated out. Two are very dark russet, and two or three are very blonde. I picked up a feed store SS chick today, a roo. I need new blood. I'm pretty sure my 3-week-old hatchling is a cockerel. There's really no question. I'll post lots of pics tonight!

American Poultry Advocate - Volume 26 - Feb. 1918 - Page 202
The Proper Color of Speckled Sussex
An article written by Mr. A. J. Falkenstein,
the leading English breeder of Speckled Sussex,
A speech given in 1917 ( read free online)
books.google.com/books?id=jCtJAAAAYAAJ
During this period, many Speckled Sussex had a more ginger colored
ground color rather than the desired dark color. Mr. Falkenstein
popularized the darker color and, following his lead, the Sussex fancy
moved the Speckled Sussex to the lovely mahogany bay ground color
we see today. You can see the change in the tobacco cards issued:
1911 : http://tinyurl.com/ppo2ske
1930's : http://tinyurl.com/mo6aaw2
One of the interesting parts of this speech are the instructions on
selecting for proper adult color while the chick is in chick down.

Last edited:

Does anyone else have this problem with their chicks? On another thread someone mentioned this happening with their heritage SS, but not hatchery stock.

So I thought is ask here, to see if y'all have any suggestions to correct it, and breed against it.

Does anyone else have this problem with their chicks? On another thread someone mentioned this happening with their heritage SS, but not hatchery stock.

So I thought is ask here, to see if y'all have any suggestions to correct it, and breed against it.

I had a problem with slipped tendons in my turkeys last year, but I haven't had it in my SS (knock on wood).

Back
Top Bottom