The Sussex thread!

I'm thinking one of our two welsummer pullets is actually a speckled sussex. Hoping it's a she. :) She is a sweetie.

Ok, I need an educated opinion on my Speckled Sussex, Iris. She's six months old now, was sold to me as a pullet at twelve weeks old, is she a hen? No signs of eggs yet, just other family members reckoned she crowed a little today. Hasn't made any other noises until now. I can take her back to the hatchery I got her from if she's a he, and can live there, and not end up in a pot. I'd just hate to have to take her back though, so beautiful and such a sweet nature.

Last edited:
Thank you. Looks like he was incorrectly sexed when sold to me. Majorly sucks, as I adore him, but I'll do my best to find a good home for my sweetheart.

X's 3 on the rooster.
263a.png

I love my Speckled Sussex. She is one of my newest hens, but she's become my favorite. She is so gentle. I love how curious she is. She's just a really fun bird.

My Speckled hens looked just like her for a few weeks but at 28-30 weeks started laying daily, great eggs. Their combs grew first then they filled out to be larger body birds.
But, that tail makes me think roo....

Last edited:
How are SS as chicks? Personality wise? I have 5 and man they want nothing to do with us yet, very skittish. I do have 19 chicks total so maybe that plays into it? The Wellies are the same way. They're all a week old today. The SS are SO pretty already! I just want to love on them, but they are like NO WAY JOSE!
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom