The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
For you breeders out there, how does the breed fair on genetic diversity/inbreeding depression?

Of the whoppin' two that made it to lockdown...still waiting on the second one to introduce itself!

Whoot! 'Two' finally showed up!

ETA: Thank you very much Swedish Ninja Farm! We appreciate it!

Last edited:
You're very welcome! I hope that they turn out well for you and give you lots of eggs! (But, at least one boy in the mix so you don't end up with really expensive omelettes
wink.png
). Congratulations on your new babies!

For you breeders out there, how does the breed fair on genetic diversity/inbreeding depression?

people have been breeding say barred rocks out of the good shepard line for over 50 years (as i have aquired some)....the only thing i see is that they take forever to grow their feathers...so it will take a while for the svart honas to get to that point....i was told they (barred rocks) dont have good fertility..however i hatched over 65 percent of the eggs i got in the mail...so i dont think they are that bad...as long as you line breed instead of interbreeding i dont think they will have fertility problems for a long time....by then ill be walking around with a cane....
old.gif
....just my thoughts on it...

getting bigger....thanks again bryce from ewe crazy farm...loving the birds....anyone have experience with keeping them out of sunlight....and that making a difference in their wattles and such staying darker because of it...just a thought...but none of the ones including the ones from gff....are getting the lighter colors...maybe its because they are still to young....who knows..only time will tell...but i dont let them get sunlight unless it reaches them in the a.m....when the tarps dont cover the light...hoping they stay this dark...you can really see the shimmer of purples/greens....on these birds already...its so pretty....so unique

getting bigger....thanks again bryce from ewe crazy farm...loving the birds....anyone have experience with keeping them out of sunlight....and that making a difference in their wattles and such staying darker because of it...just a thought...but none of the ones including the ones from gff....are getting the lighter colors...maybe its because they are still to young....who knows..only time will tell...but i dont let them get sunlight unless it reaches them in the a.m....when the tarps dont cover the light...hoping they stay this dark...you can really see the shimmer of purples/greens....on these birds already...its so pretty....so unique
That's a good looking crew you have there! How did you build their pen? I had no idea about the sunlight....Mine are still in their inside coop though.

Thanks for the introduction of these Swedish beauties :)

I think the difference to the Ayam Cemani is like the difference between "regular" chickens compared to game fowl
Less errect body "language", maybe less long neck and not so wide chest.

Has anyone both breeds and could get them on one picture for direct comparisation??

Isn't it interesting that all black chickens produce white eggs? :)

That's a good looking crew you have there! How did you build their pen? I had no idea about the sunlight....Mine are still in their inside coop though.
it is one of my hoop coops...measures 10 by 12.5 ft...and about 6ft tall....i was just wondering about the sunlight...maybe being able to fade the black...kindof like black clothes dont stay perfectly black...and kindof like some pheasants colors will actually fade in the direct sunlight...like the peach golden and the yellow golden...all my pens are shaded...but they can get some direct light when the sun is just right...just a thought...dont know how true that is...would like to experiment...and sure will when i free range them in the direct sun...

Thanks for the introduction of these Swedish beauties
smile.png

I think the difference to the Ayam Cemani is like the difference between "regular" chickens compared to game fowl
Less errect body "language", maybe less long neck and not so wide chest.

Has anyone both breeds and could get them on one picture for direct comparisation??

Isn't it interesting that all black chickens produce white eggs?
smile.png
i do have both breeds however they are not full grown yet....would love to do a comparison shot....sure will when they get older as well

Back
Top Bottom