The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
For anyone with Svart Honas in cold climates (i.e. arctic New England), how do they fair?

For anyone with Svart Honas in cold climates (i.e. arctic New England), how do they fair?
I don't live in the Artic, but we went from 60 degrees to -20 degrees, back up to 40 and back down to -20 all within a few weeks this winter and they did very well. They even started laying again through all that after being broody and wanting to raise chicks in it!

Good to know. We had it brutal this winter. I had toe tips on my Swedish Flower, Barthuhner and one bantam Barnevelder freeze and fall off. Oddly enough, all males. The Hedemora took it like pros, as did females of the other breeds.

Last edited:
Good to know. We had it brutal this winter. I had toe tips on my Swedish Flower, Barthuhner and one bantam Barnevelder freeze and fall off. Oddly enough, all males. The Hedemora took it like pros, as did females of the other breeds.
They were pushing the Hedemora as the ultimate cold climate chicken. They had a beautiful article on them last year in a magazine I read. I was seriously considering them as my first chicken purchase from GFF. I don't think they have them anymore...they look like a cool hen. How do you like raising them?

They were pushing the Hedemora as the ultimate cold climate chicken. They had a beautiful article on them last year in a magazine I read. I was seriously considering them as my first chicken purchase from GFF. I don't think they have them anymore...they look like a cool hen. How do you like raising them?
Awesome! Do you remember which magazine?

I have three adults and eggs incubating. I really like their sheer variety and compact size. They're good foragers and tree-fliers-- or at least my hen likes to. GFF doesn't currently carry them any longer but there's a good core of breeders out there doing their part!

I really would like to add some SBH to the flock, at least to test their mettle. :)

It was a good day for my Svart Honas. 2 chicks hatched, my broody in my older trio started laying again, and one of my girls in my younger trio laid her first egg today!
celebrate.gif

It was a good day for my Svart Honas. 2 chicks hatched, my broody in my older trio started laying again, and one of my girls in my younger trio laid her first egg today!
celebrate.gif
Wooot Woot! Go Hona's!
jumpy.gif

Your 3 baby hona's are developing well for me also! I have them in the cabinet. Even the one with the goofy air cell is developing! Crossing my fingers...I REALLY NEED A HEN!

Awesome! Do you remember which magazine?

I have three adults and eggs incubating. I really like their sheer variety and compact size. They're good foragers and tree-fliers-- or at least my hen likes to. GFF doesn't currently carry them any longer but there's a good core of breeders out there doing their part!

I really would like to add some SBH to the flock, at least to test their mettle. :)
I will look. It was a magazine I bought at TSC...so either a gardening or chicken mag. I will see if I can find it...it was very informative!

Back
Top Bottom