The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
I like the rooster you posted birdman - is that the one from my line or GFF?
I would pick whichever bird is showing the best features right now and not worry about the size much. Pick the rooster with the best bone structure and overall blackness and you can't go wrong.
Later on down the road when the base coloring is covered, that is the time when you can be pickier about what size "fits" for your purposes. Me personally, I prefer the larger birds. If I'm going to raise birds I at least want to know the culls will make a good meal.

I like the rooster you posted birdman - is that the one from my line or GFF?
I would pick whichever bird is showing the best features right now and not worry about the size much. Pick the rooster with the best bone structure and overall blackness and you can't go wrong.
Later on down the road when the base coloring is covered, that is the time when you can be pickier about what size "fits" for your purposes. Me personally, I prefer the larger birds. If I'm going to raise birds I at least want to know the culls will make a good meal.
Your rooster that I had was much beefier than my GFF and my GFF/EWE (KYT) roosters. He was absolutely stunning.

Yes, Svarthöna are quite the flyers. Pullets usually develop their tails faster than cockerels.
wink.png
If you post a picture, we'll be happy to give you our opinion.
Finally got a decent picture of my baby girl. She's four and a half weeks old here.

Here she is with her foster mama and the other hens:

See her big tail and no comb? Would you folks with experience in these birds agree that she's a girl?

Back
Top Bottom