The Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hen) Thread!

Pics
Best of luck on your hatch. Just had a great hatch. Though havent found homes for as many as I hoped. Anyone in AZ who wants some let me know. Also had a broody hen abandon half wAy through. Put them in the Bator and so far getting a new chick a day. 4 to go.

My original hen is sitting on eggs right now. I have had Honas for a little over a year. Started with week olds last December......raised them in the house. I now have 1 Rooster..and 4 hens. Love them. Good luck on your hatch. I let the birds do the hatching and raising around here now. Pic of my original pair...Moonie and Echo. :love
1209171245.jpg

Hey all. Having a bit of trouble. Two weeks ago I sold my last four honas to a lady: three hens and a roo. Today she says that I sold her two roos. The birds were over a year old, probably two years old (need to check hatch dates). But she believes she was “screwed over” even though she hasn’t asked for me to make it better in any way. These birds were in a breed pen for several months, so I feel I would certainly know if one was a rooster, especially at their ages.

Here is the pic that I sent that she is posting in groups, and asking if the bird beside the roo is male or female.
35113293-E605-4407-98FA-9745CBE9F7D5.jpeg

She is trying to convince me that these two are the same bird.
19ACBB12-60F5-48A9-876C-10DD71710451.jpeg

9B44CA86-DFB1-4F14-9536-0FCD02BA4F1D.jpeg

Since she is asking for group advice, I guess I should too? This whole experience has me totally frazzled, and extremely glad I’m not breeding anything this year.

The bird kinda does have roo characteristics in its' saddle feathers and a bigger tail, but until it crows and doesn't lay eggs, I'd withhold judgement as a roo.

If the bird has leakage, she probably wasn't going to use it to show or breed anyway, so she still has a beautiful pet.

The bird kinda does have roo characteristics in its' saddle feathers and a bigger tail, but until it crows and doesn't lay eggs, I'd withhold judgement as a roo.

If the bird has leakage, she probably wasn't going to use it to show or breed anyway, so she still has a beautiful pet.

The bird with leakage is the picture she sent me. None of my birds had leakage when then left my property. I had carefully culled through two years of breeding, and these were to be my breed stock going forward. They were the very best I had.

This is a neat breed. It's easy to find glowing reports about them, but I'd like to hear the downside of the breed. Anyone willing to step up to the plate?
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom