The Taj Mah-Cluck!

One 4' roost for four birds SHOULD be enough. But I have one who insists on sleeping all by herself. And if down the road you add chickens, the hens higher up in the pecking order will want the more desirable roost. So I'd recommend two roosts with one being a little lower than the other. They can also use it to get to the upper roost if you end up with bigger hens.

Just my 2 cents worth. But the coop is adorable. I'd love to have you build me one.

Nice job! I'd go with just the one perch too. I'd leave it above the pop hole, though and add a poop tray underneath. I don't know how much space is available, but you may need to raise it slightly.

Now you've got too many options!

A question for you "egg-sperts"... The ramp to the pop door is made of the same T1-11 siding with the 4" spaced grooves running sideways. Is that enough to let the girls heave themselves up the ramp or should I go ahead and put the cross-bars on it? It has been a looooong time since I was a kid and my folks had chickens in the back, and I honestly don't remember how agile they are.

Thanks

Dave

Don't know if the T1-11 is sturdy enough for a ramp. I used it for my sideing too. I would be afraid that it would sag and bounce with the chickens weight on it. I used a 1 x 8 inch board with cross bars.

Thanks for the comment. You are absolutely right, Brookliner, it would be too springy. I ran 2 1x2 boards under it to stiffen it up. I am going to keep an eye on the chickies when they get old enough to take up residence. If it looks like they need it I will put the cross battens on it.

Back
Top Bottom