The thing that I built

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LV426, Sep 28, 2008.

1. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    So the duckies needed a bigger house and when I'm on vacation they needed a large enough area that they wouldn't have to be let out every day. It also had to be secure from raccoons and somewhat sheltered from the weather because it rains all the time out here. So yesterday a friend of mine and I went to Home Depot and bought some supplies. I had a basic idea of what I wanted so we went with that and just kind of grabbed things as I thought of them.

2 trips to Home Depot
    $160
    and 8 hours of labor produced Fort Duck:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Nicely put together. Your ducks should be very happy with their new digs.

I like the 'guard' cat![​IMG]

3. mudman

mudman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    SE Michigan
    You might think of adding some sheet roofing to the top to keep that OSB from falling apart. It is basically one big shingle on a roll, and would keep water from being absorbed by the top OSB.

4. mudman

Aug 17, 2008
    SE Michigan
    Oh yeah, and don't forget tar paper underneath the sheet roofing. It helps keep air between the OSB and roofing material. Ask around, you might find someone with enough 'scrap' laying around.

5. mudman

Aug 17, 2008
    SE Michigan
    One more thing- adding a latch at the bottom (a type that coons won't figue out) will prevent varmints from prying the door open at the bottom. Think your door is strong enough right now in that situation? Think again.

6. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    The OSB I sealed with Thompson Water Seal and then covered in 3 coats of paint today. In fact the whole thing was sealed yesterday and then today I painted it. The bottom doesn't need a latch because the roof actually lifts up. When it's down the door is pressed down by the top and it sets inside a lip. I have to lift the door slightly just to get the door open. There's also a latch at the top which a padlock slips into and there's a latch on the inside of the roof which catches and can only be released from the inside if the roof lifts more than an inch. It's also anchored into the ground with stakes that go down 2 feet and are screwed into the sides and then it's sitting on pressure treated 4x4s the orange kind that the park services uses on their fencing which are buried in the ground and the cage sets on those. I'm pretty sure it's racoon safe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    That's a work of art! Wow - and only in 8 hours? Wow - I'm jealous :) I love the color too. Good job!! [​IMG]

8. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    Well there were two of us.
    Thanks though, we worked hard and the ducks seem to like it.

9. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    The ducks were in bed already when I got home but I took a few pics with the lid raised so you can see how it lifts up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    good job the quackers look happy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by