The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

Pics
Today we have ‘Good Friday’ the saddest Catholic day of the year. We remember the day Jesus was betrayed, arrested, convicted and pinned/hanged on the cross.

OK so it's basically the same as us, just on a different date. Our Friday is called "Μεγάλη Παρασκευή" (Big/Great Friday), and every day of said week is called Great/Big+whatever day it is. On Sunday, we have Κυριακή του Πάσχα (Easter Sunday, basically). I was aware that both our (as in Orthodox and Catholic) Easter Days are on a Sunday, not sure why I got so confused to be honest

How adorable🥰! Seems like it was almost yesterday you got these eggs! How many baby bantam sulmtaler are hatching, or have hatched?

Just one, I did a check at day 7 with 5 eggs and only vaguely saw 2 eggs with ‘spiders’ in it. But the torch was not very bright and I hoped the scales were too thick to see through. But I probably had it right after all.

So I expect the outcome will be poor. Hopefully another egg or maybe two will hatch tomorrow.

Just one, I did a check at day 7 with 5 eggs and only vaguely saw 2 eggs with ‘spiders’ in it. But the torch was not very bright and I hoped the scales were too thick to see through. But I probably had it right after all.

So I expect the outcome will be poor. Hopefully another egg or maybe two will hatch tomorrow.

Hope so too :fl . Wouldn't be so bad for this one to have a sister. How are the girls doing? Are they sharing the chick, or does it spend most of its time under one of the two?

Hope so too :fl . Wouldn't be so bad for this one to have a sister. How are the girls doing? Are they sharing the chick, or does it spend most of its time under one of the two?
The chick is under Katrientje all the time. Kraai sits in the nestbox next to her.
IMG_4194.jpeg

What a good broody, she is. Will be interesting to see what happens when she gets up and leads the chick(s) out of the nest box
Yes, Katrientje really is very committed to hatch and to keep the chick warm.
Have to wait and see how she does as a mother. It is her first time.

I am also curious about the upcoming flock dynamics.
Katrientje is not high in rank and the 2 black Dutch (Black & Pearl) tried to take over her motherhood yesteday. I blocked them out for the time being. I don’t need 4 broodies for 1 or maybe just a few chicks. Still just one so far.

This morning Kraai was still committed to hatch her own chick. But when I looked under Katrientje she pecked the little chick. (Jealous ?) I put her outside and gave the other 3 eggs to Katrientje.
When I was looking for Kraai she seemed to have vanished. When I looked in the nestboxes again Kraai was happily sitting with Katrientje in one nestbox. 😅

Yes, Katrientje really is very committed to hatch and to keep the chick warm.
Have to wait and see how she does as a mother. It is her first time.

I am also curious about the upcoming flock dynamics.
Katrientje is not high in rank and the 2 black Dutch (Black & Pearl) tried to take over her motherhood yesteday. I blocked them out for the time being. I don’t need 4 broodies for 1 or maybe just a few chicks. Still just one so far.

This morning Kraai was still committed to hatch her own chick. But when I looked under Katrientje she pecked the little chick. (Jealous ?) I put her outside and gave the other 3 eggs to Katrientje.
When I was looking for Kraai she seemed to have vanished. When I looked in the nestboxes again Kraai was happily sitting with Katrientje in one nestbox. 😅

Awe, they want to be together, keeping the chick safe. Does the little chick have a sibling now?

I hope the chick hasn't received more pecks :fl

Back
Top Bottom