The Truth Behind Crested Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kevin -- is that also true for "tufted" geese ? thanks, Patsy
That's a great question! To the best of my knowledge the two are very different. Tufted feathers just tend to point up more in that section rather than other feathers instead of being caused by a skull deformity. I personally do not raise the breed so if any Tufted Roman people could verify this it would be greatly appreciated.

That's a great question! To the best of my knowledge the two are very different. Tufted feathers just tend to point up more in that section rather than other feathers instead of being caused by a skull deformity. I personally do not raise the breed so if any Tufted Roman people could verify this it would be greatly appreciated.

Someone else mentioned Silkies, I assume she meant chickens. This does not hold true for the crested breeds of chicken, does it? Thanks for the information, BTW, I had no idea that this was a health issue. I thought it was just feathers and some extra skin. I will keep this in mind for the future, and will pass it on as well.

I have a crested Rouen. I think she's awesome and my friends love her the most because of her "mohawk" but I didn't go out to specifically buy a crested duck. She was my "rouen" order from California Hatchery and they get their stock from Metzer. Seems like there can be a chance for getting a crested duck from a "normal" duckling order.
hu.gif

I have a crested Rouen. I think she's awesome and my friends love her the most because of her "mohawk" but I didn't go out to specifically buy a crested duck. She was my "rouen" order from California Hatchery and they get their stock from Metzer. Seems like there can be a chance for getting a crested duck from a "normal" duckling order.
hu.gif
Yes crested ducks are often added into orders when dealing with hatcheries. This is one of the reasons I now prefer dealing locally when it comes to buying birds. You know what your getting at the time of buying and the breeder knows the lineage of the bird.
i have a crested silver appleyard duck that came in my holderread's order in june. holderread's doesn't even sell crested breeds so i have no idea where she came from, but she is quite beautiful.
That's very interesting. I'm very surprised Holderreads would have the gene in their birds lineage.
Someone else mentioned Silkies, I assume she meant chickens. This does not hold true for the crested breeds of chicken, does it? Thanks for the information, BTW, I had no idea that this was a health issue. I thought it was just feathers and some extra skin. I will keep this in mind for the future, and will pass it on as well.

That's a great question! I do not have any experience with chicken genes so I do not have a definitive answer. I would be very interested if any of the chicken people could inform us about this it would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes crested just happens. A great breeder like Dave Holderread can hardly be held to account if the occasional crested duck happens.
Chicks and ducklings once sexed (if that is done) are not usually further separated into crested and non. They are packed as they come through.

I also don't think anyone should be made to feel as though they should apologize if they like and want crested ducks.

Sometimes crested just happens. A great breeder like Dave Holderread can hardly be held to account if the occasional crested duck happens.
Chicks and ducklings once sexed (if that is done) are not usually further separated into crested and non. They are packed as they come through.

I also don't think anyone should be made to feel as though they should apologize if they like and want crested ducks.

Yes but she was just trying to warn people. I personally don't like them, but its not like shes trying to make people feel bad. Its warning people.

It is true that defects happen, but I must say that I feel like allowing a defect that is fatal is not a good breeding decision. When I was still getting my pre-med degree, we discussed the nature of humans wanting to breed defects into benefits. Sometimes it works out, some defects don't actually injure or cause death in animals, but any defect that is always on the edge of a blade, in embryotic offspring death, juvenile and adult death, all traceable to one specific defect, like crested ducks in these case, should be discouraged. This is a bad defect, it maims and kills more than 50% of offspring either in the shell, or afterword.

I don't know that there need be guilt feeling involved for loving or having these ducks. There is also sound reason to begin to discourage the breeding of death genes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom