Was sent a Crested Duckling egg with my mix and need advice, please!

HollyBluefeather

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2023
Unfortunately, I had to order late in season so shipped eggs it was! These included an undisclosed egg mix, one of which (unknowningly at the time) is a crested breed. I immediately went into research mode and learned all the unfortunate things that can come along with this breed. I contacted the breeder who told me this would be 100% crested so I doubted it would even hatch. I incubated it along with the others anyways and it hatched late and was slow to catch up but seems to be doing extremely well. My question is if anyone who has experience with this breed noticed a decline in health in a duckling that seemed to be doing well from the beginning (neurologically or otherwise?) Honestly, any advice would be appreciated on this breed in particular. Thank you, BYC community 🙏

Attachments

• 20230808_213217.jpg
    20230808_213217.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Resized_20230812_173818.jpeg
    Resized_20230812_173818.jpeg
    639.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Resized_20230813_124501.jpeg
    Resized_20230813_124501.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 9
I remember a post about a little crested duckling who started out fine, but then was putting his head down on the floor like standing, but with his head completely upside down on the floor, and then he wouldn’t eat, and then he died, but most of them grow up fine I think, and sometimes they have a problem later in life, if the tendrils grow into their brain or some thing. Your little precious sweetie is so cute and beautiful chances are she’ll do very well.

I remember a post about a little crested duckling who started out fine, but then was putting his head down on the floor like standing, but with his head completely upside down on the floor, and then he wouldn’t eat, and then he died, but most of them grow up fine I think, and sometimes they have a problem later in life, if the tendrils grow into their brain or some thing. Your little precious sweetie is so cute and beautiful chances are she’ll do very well.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I've read similar things and feel guilty ending up with one. I will do my very best for her!

I'd get all your duckling on some type of niacin. It is very important they have it at least through their first 12 weeks. It will help with leg strength and also neurological issues if any arise. That is one precious duckling. There is Nutritional yeast that can be sprinkled over their feed 1 Tab to each cup or liquid B Complex which can be given over a small tasty treat or feed. Many crested haven't any problems so hopefully your little one won't either.
Niacin deficiency is pretty common in young waterfowl so it's best to make sure they have an adequate amount of niacin daily. And if you opt to go with just niacin don't get time released or flush-free neither will work.

Unfortunately, I had to order late in season so shipped eggs it was! These included an undisclosed egg mix, one of which (unknowningly at the time) is a crested breed. I immediately went into research mode and learned all the unfortunate things that can come along with this breed. I contacted the breeder who told me this would be 100% crested so I doubted it would even hatch. I incubated it along with the others anyways and it hatched late and was slow to catch up but seems to be doing extremely well. My question is if anyone who has experience with this breed noticed a decline in health in a duckling that seemed to be doing well from the beginning (neurologically or otherwise?) Honestly, any advice would be appreciated on this breed in particular. Thank you, BYC community 🙏
I have a crested Pekin drake [a rescue] and my son has a crested pekin female that came in a gaggle of little fluffies from Tractor supply. We didn't realise she was crested initially as she was a little smaller than the others and we thought she was 23 hours younger, with face down that hadn't fully erupted.

My drake, has a small crest and has not had any neurological issues as a result of it. He is 2.5 years old and has always been petite, active and very bossy.

My son's female is also relative small but not as petite as my drake, very noisy, very bossy. She is also 2.5 years old and a good little layer. She has a larger crest and has had no neurological problems as a result.

I would not intentionally buy a crested duck, and certainly not breed the ones we have. But they are both lovely backyard pet ducks.

This is Ping, my drake -- he was attacked by a raccoon as a duckling and has lost the end of his bill

20220507_153220.jpg

Mop Head, my son's female:
20220220_153940.jpg
[My drake is actually currently unwell but his problem is not neurological and not related to his crest]

I'd get all your duckling on some type of niacin. It is very important they have it at least through their first 12 weeks. It will help with leg strength and also neurological issues if any arise. That is one precious duckling. There is Nutritional yeast that can be sprinkled over their feed 1 Tab to each cup or liquid B Complex which can be given over a small tasty treat or feed. Many crested haven't any problems so hopefully your little one won't either.
Niacin deficiency is pretty common in young waterfowl so it's best to make sure they have an adequate amount of niacin daily. And if you opt to go with just niacin don't get time released or flush-free neither will work.
Okay great! Thank you! They have been getting a nutritional yeast mixed with their duckling starter and sprinkled on their dried worm treats. Also, now she is almost 2 weeks old and doing great! Thanks for all the wonderful advice!

I have a crested Pekin drake [a rescue] and my son has a crested pekin female that came in a gaggle of little fluffies from Tractor supply. We didn't realise she was crested initially as she was a little smaller than the others and we thought she was 23 hours younger, with face down that hadn't fully erupted.

My drake, has a small crest and has not had any neurological issues as a result of it. He is 2.5 years old and has always been petite, active and very bossy.

My son's female is also relative small but not as petite as my drake, very noisy, very bossy. She is also 2.5 years old and a good little layer. She has a larger crest and has had no neurological problems as a result.

I would not intentionally buy a crested duck, and certainly not breed the ones we have. But they are both lovely backyard pet ducks.

This is Ping, my drake -- he was attacked by a raccoon as a duckling and has lost the end of his bill

View attachment 3610286

Mop Head, my son's female:
View attachment 3610289[My drake is actually currently unwell but his problem is not neurological and not related to his crest]
Oh great! They look wonderful! Good to see some healthy fluffy heads on the internet after such a disappointing initial research. Mine is doing very well so far! I will update with a pic!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1903875522.jpg
    Snapchat-1903875522.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom