THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Well, I am raising 25 cornish X that I bought from a hatchery, they are weighing right about 4 lbs now and its goin on 8 weeks. Supposed to be all hens, but 1 has a BIG comb, I am certain its a roo. Anyway. I wont buy or raise anymore. I love my Buff Orps. Im hatchin these guys as we speek. nice dual breed birds.

GREAYFIELDS, I live 50 miles south of Kansas City Mo. In the country. There is a small herd of cows that have been runnin wild down here for about 4 years now. When we try to catch'em they are gone. Also there are 4 horses that have been turned loose and are runnin a 2 county area for about the same time. Seems like they are doin ok I guess. They are livin off everyone else and doin good.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
And even so, most of the "test tubes" just hold sperm for artificial insemination of animals they are selectively breeding!

I've transformed bacteria, added genes to them, removed genes from them, even transformed leaves of plants and work with conditional knock out mice. But none of that is in our meaty cornish x.

They are traditional genetic engineering...

I tell you what, I ate pigeon for the first time on holiday and I think I'm in love. If we could just develop a super squab which grows like a cornish X, puts on fat like a duck/goose and won't be full of lead pellets we may be rich.

Quote:
Thepigeon, Swiss Mondaine show standards for mature males weigh 32-38 ounces and females 30-34 oz. with the young at 30 days 28-32 oz. . The Giant Homer mature male 30-40 oz., and females 28-38 oz. young 28-30 oz.. Texan Pioneer mature males 30-34 oz. females 28 -32 oz. young 24 oz at 30 days of age. The squab dress out at about a pound of carcass weight, similar to a game hen. A pair of pigeons will produce about a dozen squabs a year since they only lay 2 eggs per nest and then they start to set on the eggs. They have to be raised in well protected housing or all bets are off. If allowed to fly free range so to speak, they would be preyed upon by hawks, cats, racoons, possoms, hunters, etc. due to their weight decreasing their flying abilities.

There was a television show on PBS about dogs. In it a Russian experimented with foxes. It seems they were looking to develop a less aggressive fox for keeping in pens for the fur industry.

They hired this guy who got together several hundred foxes and tested them with a puppet. Those who were least aggressive were selected for breeding. After just 4 generations they had a doscile fox suitable for the fur industry.

But since this happened so fast they kept it up to see what would happen, and after 7 to 10 generations they had developed a domestic fox suitable for playing with kids and keeping in the home. They also were able to develop a wide range of colors and hair length in the foxes.

The domestication of dogs occured almost overnight in human history. When man was able to raise crops and form perminant cities. Garbage dumps occured. Wild dogs hung around and the least threatning were not killed.

Chickens mature rapidly and it's been over 50 generations of chickens since a serious effort to improve the breed has started.

Just think... What if there were a serious program to help select humans... You know like rewarding the exceptionally smart or athletic with higher paying jobs so that they could breed unhindered!

Quote:
Thepigeon, Swiss Mondaine show standards for mature males weigh 32-38 ounces and females 30-34 oz. with the young at 30 days 28-32 oz. . The Giant Homer mature male 30-40 oz., and females 28-38 oz. young 28-30 oz.. Texan Pioneer mature males 30-34 oz. females 28 -32 oz. young 24 oz at 30 days of age. The squab dress out at about a pound of carcass weight, similar to a game hen. A pair of pigeons will produce about a dozen squabs a year since they only lay 2 eggs per nest and then they start to set on the eggs. They have to be raised in well protected housing or all bets are off. If allowed to fly free range so to speak, they would be preyed upon by hawks, cats, racoons, possoms, hunters, etc. due to their weight decreasing their flying abilities.

I think he meant to say that in a sarcastic or funny manner Bossroo. It was a joke. IMO, Does it really matter how the Cornish X came to be? As long as it does what its suppose to i'm good, but if you want to know then that's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom