The turkeys before the livestock guardian dog

tboneranch

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Well, we are getting our first turkeys in a few weeks. They will be put out on pasture when they are old enough and I don't have a guard for them! I originally thought I would be able to use my 10 X 12 pens that I raise my cornish crosses in, but it sounds as if the turkeys will not go back in at night-they more than likely will just climb on top of it. We have foxes and racoons and ??? here. Predators a plenty for sure. I have considered the electroplactic netting-albeit expensive, so are my birds going to be!! Any other thoughts?

Quote:
If you train them by locking them in for a few day they will always go back. My babies from this year already go back in with no problem.

I have a 2 year old Neo Mastiff puppy that recently decided to play with my ducks when I was on vacation. So tomarow I am getting 20 new ones. I also bought some geese to alarm me.

I live among the preditors too. I have had their dens back right up to my fence line. One fence for me is not enough. They go over and under my six foot chain link with no problem. I have watched big coyotes grab a turkey hen and scale my fence. It was so fast. I put up a second 6 foot fence made from horse fencing and pipe rails. During the snow seems to be even more of a problem since they don't have as much to eat and then the fence is lower. I have not lost many durring the day unless that was wild dogs or neighbors dogs. When they are locked up at night and not let out early you will cut down on losses.
57076_turkey_poults_026.jpg

You can see with the snow drifts my 6 foot fence is only a 3-4 foot fence.

57076_12-17-0820snow20015.jpg

57076_12-17-0820snow20017.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses! I have field fence, which a fox and racoon can easily get through, but it does keep my livestock in. Welded wire around my entire field would be so expensive, but I love that stuff!! I am really encouraged by the fact that they will go in to the same structure each night! Sounds like a little bit of Turkey whispering will be the way to go! heehee:lol:

My turks go into the barn every night. Last year, when they were poults, we had to herd them in a few times, but after that, no problem.

Back
Top Bottom