The U.S. Postal Service Nears Collapse

Never had a complaint about are postal service. I don't think we've ever had the same carrier more than a few days in a row but i could still set a clock by them.

I blame e-mail

Quote:
No, federal law prohibited Fedex and UPS from competing with first class mail so they focused on package delivery.

The post office near me SUCKS. The local route drivers are very nice and helpful, it is just the office staff at the PO that have a bad attitude. They seem to compete to see who can go the slowest so they wont have to help as many people.

You must have been to MY post office! I used to drive to a different post office just to not have to deal with these two that staffed the local office. Sadly, they moved and now I still have to deal with them.

If you have every talked to the postal supervisor, boy will you get a good idea on why they have so many troubles!

I cannot send my sister a package to Alabama because when I sent a hand stitched wall quilt in a very large tube, it almost walked out the door with a postal employee. Had I not emailed my sister to see if the "surprise" had arrived, it would not have reached her. My sister discussed it with her friendly mail carrier who checked up on it at the post office. It was about to "walk." (The end of the tube was broken into.) The mail carrier was furious but I bet she did not report the "thief." I deliberately put it in a large tube, securely taped, so it couldn't get lost. Now that is nerve to carry something that large to your car in plain view.

Edited to add: My rural mail carriers are wonderful. They usually run the same routes for decades and are well known in the community. I think theft like mine is more likely in the big cities.

Last edited:
Quote:
I remember something about it. Are you sure it wasn't a proposal to work Sundays and the union objected or something? Do they have a union? There's been a lot of lawsuits against companies for trying to make people work on a Sunday.

Quote:
Germany seems to have the best of a lot of things. Their PO, You can set your watch to their train system, highway system is great. They are just an incredibly efficient society.

Quote:
You have to remember when you're comparing the PO in European countries to the US that it is an "apples to oranges" thing. The distances are so much less that the logistics alone are easier. As bad as it is, it is possible for the USP to get a first class letter from any place in NYS (for example) to any other address within the state in a day--that would be about like Germany. Unless of course the piece of mail got lost and never delivered.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I really do not mind paying the P.O. as I do have a choice. They have cleaned up their act somewhat over the years. They subcontract carriers around here, UPS hauls their packages and Fedex flies them not sure about the letters.

Their is another post here called "Going Postal"
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom