The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...

Pics
Tomato leaves, eggplant leaves and all of the brassica family can be harmful to ducks. This is from a vetinary textbook I have on poisonous plants with reference specifically to animal groups. So that includes cabbages, broccoli, bok choi, cauliflower etc. Obviously it would be in larger amounts or build up over time. I have chosen not to feed anymore after having sick ducks with no other explanation.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6127431/width/200/height/400[/IMG Wayan and Ketut in the grass...

]Just read about spinach. My goodness had no idea! I was giving baby spinach leaves to my duckies every day! Better leave it out now... A pity as they absolutely loved it.
Also my babies are going on to nearly 4 weeks old I give them mealy worms, handfuls at a time in the grass for them to practice their foraging. Is their a limit I should be feeding them with the worms? What about earthworms?
Also... Yesterday my partner dropped a bit of cheese near the duckies and they gobbled it up. Today they seem to have liquid poo... I think dairy shoukd be missed... ??

Last edited:
Oh m
Tomato leaves, eggplant leaves and all of the brassica family can be harmful to ducks. This is from a vetinary textbook I have on poisonous plants with reference specifically to animal groups. So that includes cabbages, broccoli, bok choi, cauliflower etc. Obviously it would be in larger amounts or build up over time. I have chosen not to feed anymore after having sick ducks with no other explanation.

Oh my goodness I've been giving broccoli and it's leaves daily! There are so many conflicting websites. I'm worried about everything now!

Could you please explain why? An overdose of what chemical found in the plant? Kale and other brassicas are the healthiest of greens to give to chickens, so I'm wondering why ducks would be more affected?

Eeks!!
We give our ducks shredded broccoli and spinach. Their favourite is by far peas, but for a change we give them other greens. We found some over ripe pears at the grocery store yesterday. Not sure at first but when we went back the dish was empty LOL

Thanks for all this marvellous info about ducky treats. It gets really hot here in summer so I will definately try the frozen treats in the wading pool. Very generous to share
big_smile.png

My hubbie and I are pround new duck mommie n dad but after lost of reading we where ready for out 2 lil ones but no matter how much I read it never prepaired us for how get pet ducks are we love talking to them watching them n bath is a barrel of laughs and any advice would be well apprachied

I feed my ducks food grade diatomaceous earth as a parasite killing suplemint.

I have also fed them:

bananas
apples
cabbage (they didn't like it)
carrots
celery (it's sooooooo funny to watch them devour it!)
lettuce
spinach
oranges
leeks
grapefruit
pears
mealworms

and some other stuff that I can't remember

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom