The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Corn is fine to give in small amounts it can put on pounds so you don't want to feed a lot. I know quite a few members who feed their flocks chick starter /grower as their sole ration I don't see any problem with it but you want to make sure she gets enough niacin too which chick feed doesn't have . Maybe put some Nutritional yeast sprinkled over her feed a couple times a week for the B vitamins it contains. and once she begins laying she'll need oyster shell for the calcium to give her eggs a good hard shell.

Nutritional yeast dose is 1 Tablespoon to each cup of feed she eats. Mine get it a couple times a week .

2. bdfive

bdfive Songster

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    I'm commenting on the corn. Is it no longer healthy because it's GMO? Have a friend that breeds and sells Sebastopol geese. She quit using corn a couple years ago due to health problems. I was told to feed my Gracie and Gunther (Aussie Black Swans) corn daily but don't. I feed Mazuri Waterfowl Feed. Suppose to be the best but see it has corn in it. I would imagine corn is in almost all feed for birds.
    Sounds like Dandy is a sweet pet. Can you post a picture here? I have peacocks, the swans and ornamental pheasants. Love My Birds!

3. Miss Lydia

I can buy NON GMO whole corn from Sunrise Farms they are in Virginia.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  4. bdfive

bdfive Songster

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    There is bound to be some non GMO available here. I'm about 30 miles north of San Antonio, TX.

5. Miss Lydia

Go on line an look for it That's how I found a Feed store about 25 miles from me that carries NON GMO corn and feed

6. PollysMommy

PollysMommy Hatching

Aug 26, 2018
    Summerville,SC
    Ok, 1. great list and thank you.
    2. Is Lactaid better for my feathered baby? How about glutten free starches?
    Im a new Duck Mommy and I'm still in the process of learning. My baby is a Khaki Campbell; and I hate leaving her (even though she's with daddy at night) when I go to work. She loves being held and cuddled. I used to have a cup that I drank iced water from until she (aka "the boss") decided I had to share. :)
    She's an only child; and I'm trained very well. Either it's 5 little goldfish once a week in the tub, or it's floating mealworms. Standing on my shoulder is also a favorite.

7. Miss Lydia

Good All flock feed is best for our feathered babies it has all essentials they need especially the niacin.
    Can we get a pic of your little one?

:welcome

8. Dandy's mom

Dandy's mom Songster

Aug 24, 2018
    Montgomery, TX
    I would love to post a pic, I'm new, so other than my avatar of her, how do I post pics? I got videos too!!!!

9. Dandy's mom

Dandy's mom Songster

Aug 24, 2018
    Montgomery, TX
    The cor I feed her is cut corn for birds, is that still GMO? Does it have to say if it's GMO on the package?

10. PollysMommy

PollysMommy Hatching

Aug 26, 2018
    Summerville,SC
    Loves Donald Duck. Quacks at Mickey.
    Napping with Mommy for almost an hour WITHOUT an accident.
    35763066_1742153259166753_7856749254704889856_n.jpg 37790582_1796281883753890_2066442202149552128_n.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: