The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...

Pics
Do not put apple cider vinegar in a metal waterer or container, vinegar will corrode metal. Use only glass or plastic containers.

Quote:
Very good point. This is especially true for galvanized steel which is coated in zinc (toxic to birds) and should not be used at all regardless of whether or not you give them vinegar or any acidic foods like tomatoes.

I have given my ducklings mashed banana. They did not really care for it but loves the cut up raisins and romaine lettuce I gave them later.
big_smile.png

Also the list I found said Raisins, pomegranate, carrot, bell pepper,beans over cooked,broccoli, beets, asparagus, egg plant,oatmeal cooked, rice cooked small amounts, pumpkin, strawberries. for treats canalope, water melon, grapes, apple sauce.

My ducklings are 2 weeks and 4 days old. I just started them on about 1 table spoon romaine lettuce in am and some more in pm. given every day. I just introduced cut up raisins and have given it only one day so far. This list is very helpful! This is our first time raising duckies! At night I look up and research ducklings and how to care for them. I hope this helps! On apple cider vinegar how much and how often. Since mine are little I have given them 1/4 teaspoon in water in a glad plastic container. I started doing it every day but have now will be giving it every couple weeks??? Also will be starting them on grit, vitamin and introducing them to the next grade of duckie food.

Last edited:
So if I start my ducklings on the Purina flock starter (for ducks, geese, and turkeys) do I still need to supplement with grit and vitamins?
'
idunno.gif
'

The people at the feed stores I have talked to say that this food is a excellent all around coverage and that I shouldn't need anything more. As we all know the feed store folks do not always have the best info!

I was planning on giving them veggies as treats though along with the starter. '
clap.gif
'

Great list........ I find my ducks are very fussy about trying new food, but put anything in water and they will have a go. I could be wrong but i thought birds are lactose intolerant.

Thanks Nettie for compiling such an extensive list. It is extremely helpful, especially to new duck Mommies! We have one question. We just boght game bird crumbles. It was the only thing the feed store sold here for ducks. The protein is a little high, 27%. We read you can add oats to balance out the protein. Why isn't there a "ducling" near the oats on your list? We just want to make sure its OK for our babies.

Vicki & Jaime

So if I start my ducklings on the Purina flock starter (for ducks, geese, and turkeys) do I still need to supplement with grit and vitamins?

It depends. CityChicker used flock raiser on her ducks and they ended up with foot problems. Extra niacin in the form of brewer's yeast fixed them right up. I don't know if it is individual feed mills or what but sometimes the ducks need more.

I feed game bird feed and supplement with greens. Everyone is doing well, my hatching egg customers are getting great fertility rates so I see no need to change.​

Back
Top Bottom