The unexpected Dorkings

punk-a-doodle

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 15, 2011
So excited, just had to share! After years of waiting, I brought home my first four chickens. :D A huge red Dorking and his two red girls from Hortsman lines, and a silver gray Dorking roo too. I really, really hope they make some babies for us. Please send chick vibes this way.

thumbsup.gif

Here they are before being released into their barn. It sounded like they were being completely free-ranged (night and day), so I'm pretty sure the black on their combs is frostbite.

The red roo is such a studly beast with his wattles blowing in the wind. Hope the girls agree and get to populating the yard with more Dorkings!

Last edited:
They are very pretty!!!
love.gif

Love the blowing wattles.
lol.png

Good luck with the gorgeous birds!

Just seen your post loved the pictures.. .we got S. G. Dorking last summer from McMurray Hatchery..to see IF we would like the breed.. They are the best breed we have owned so far.... So I ordered the Red and more S. G. from Sand Hill Preservation Center.. So should 'hopefully' get a flock of both colors going this year..Sadly out of the 5 pullets and 3 cockerels I ordered from McMurray hatchery 1 pullet died in shipping, 1 pullet died at about 2 wks old, a 3rd died at about 4 -5 weeks old.. the 4th is not really good for breeding because of legs issues as a chick, and now she has a hernia on her neck (she my daughter's pet) ; and the 5th pullet/hen is good.. With the 3 cockerels/Roosters.. 1 was very small, the 2nd was med size and the 3rd.. Jack Frost.. is at least close to what a Dorking should be.. I think.. ??

I am looking for others who are into the Dorkings so I can get some more info on the breed.. I have been trying to find standards on them and so far have not really found anything other the general information.. and I have not been able to find a Dorking Club ( U.S.) either.. Does one exist?

Hey cowdoggin, there is a US breed club. http://dorkingbreedersclub.webs.com Also, if you post photos of your Dorkings on the BYC main Dorking thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/118388/b-y-c-dorking-club , I bet people will help you see the strengths and faults in your birds. I hope to get online help on breeding up my birds too. I may ask some game bird folks for help too as they always seem to have the best grasp on genetics, birds that are both functional and pretty, how to mix lines and get good results, etc. I hope your Sandhills come in. I've been hearing about a lot of health/purity/standard and fertility issues from McMurray. If we both get our flock numbers up, maybe we can trade hatching eggs down the road? :)

Back
Top Bottom