The Wait is Getting to me...

awtandrocks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Florida
roll.png
My eight Plymouth Barred Rock hens are over 20wks old now and still haven't laid me a single egg yet. Grrr
Most of them have real red combs and wattles and some of their combs are getting really big as well... can't say I've really heard the egg song much but I don't have much time to stay home and watch them either.

Anyway these freeloaders better hurry up and lay me some eggs, or else!!!
idunno.gif

Give it a little more time....20 weeks is not too bad. I have an EE that is 8 months old and has not laid but then it is deep winter here. One other thing you can do is check for spots they could already have used for laying (under bushes etc if they roam or under coop etc)
smile.png

Thanks,
Yes I've done a bit of poking around in the bushes that they frequent with no luck and I've also left them in the coop&run all day a few times to see but to no avail.

I'm wondering if it might be changes in their feed because I had switched them to Layena pellets and they didn't seem to like them much and I just switched back to Dumor crumbles 12/30.

They always rebel a bit if you change the feed. Theyll eat it just fine after a while, they just dont like change.
hu.gif
If they arent laying yet, changing the feed won't make much of a difference, especially if you mix the old feed with the new feed. That way the change wont be as stark and theyll rebel less.

It won't be long now.

Could be worse, you could have my wait. My welsummer babies are 10 weeks old, and I'm looking forward to those nice, dark eggs. So about another 10 weeks to go for me.
tongue.png

I'm also waiting for my 2 (11 month olds) that have been molting to start back up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom