The Waiting is the Hardest Part...

Pics
Oh my! It’s such a trial and error process, I’m gathering!! I’m logging a bit of what I did (am doing) on this hatch so I can take it with me for next time. I read that the RH in the 50s works great for some and that some have it in the 70s - spiking even more during hatch, and that works for them so I guess I chose 60s because I tell myself I won’t assist and open the lid but I know me, and that might be impossible if something goes wrong.
Is there a way to know if they have started internal pips without candling? Of course, my candling days are over for these three but curious if there is any discoloration if a light is shone down on them, etc.
It won't hurt a thing to candle them right now real quick.

Cool video! Like the idea of adding humidity once I see a pip but I don’t want to open lid and I’m still unsure of the external water fill point and how receptive it is to increasing humidity. I actually poured water into the center pot, closed lid and went into lockdown. My humidity for first week was in the 20-30s, then I got a new incubator (Brinsea) and it was a steady 40. The air cells have increased each candling and seem to be on the mark. I haven’t checked since lockdown though so hopefully this higher humidity doesn’t shrink them too much. Just hoping I’m on the right track!
You don't want the air cells to shrink at this point.
You want them to get larger.;)

This is correct but this is for the entire incubation time.
Come lockdown time you want those air cells getting bigger by the day.
Maybe, just maybe, the guy or gal that drew up that egg diagram with the air cell reference points accounted for the higher humidity shrinking the air cells down a tad during lockdown. I’m hoping so cause I’m all in right now and I’m not messing with it! :D

Attachments

• F82A8BFB-8300-4F95-8ED1-685F803ABC69.png
    F82A8BFB-8300-4F95-8ED1-685F803ABC69.png
    505.7 KB · Views: 3
Pretty much. Have you been tracing the air cells when you candled during incubation?
I do it on day 7-10-14-18. Sometimes adjusting humidity based on cell size.
I leave them alone after day 18.

Yah every hour on the hour, right? ;) :gig

I’ve been tracing... I pretty much candled every night and traced out the growing air cells with different color pencils. Do you increase humidity as you lockdown or do you wait for first external pip? I get nervous about the whole shrink wrapping scenario that I read happens if you open lid during first pip. Scared...

Back
Top Bottom