The "waste" subject again. Picky birds??

Bokkerpop

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
I'm new to this so it may have been answered so please forgive

me. I'm wasting so much food so I put this pan underneath to catch all the food they toss around but now they don't like eating the food that they tossed out! I have six adolescent birds but they're going through like 2 quarts of food per day. Do you see anything in my set up here that could be improved?

As has already been mentioned, the feeders are far too low. My personal preference is for a feeder to have a much deeper feed pan. The rule of thumb used to be to have troughs or feed pans 6-8 inches deep, and never more than one-third full, to prevent waste. This allows the chickens to rummage through the feed looking without dumping it onto the floor.

Robert

Also, Is it ok to pour the stuff they toss out back in my feeding tube? Are they just throwing it around or are they picking through it for their favorite stuff?

I've had this problem with tubes. My husband put a pipe reducer in the hole of the pipe backwards so the skinny part pokes into the big tube. It forces them to reach in and cant kick it out. Also I use a high sided dish pan inside their coop and add water to it and it makes a mash that they love but aren't as likely to kick out and gives them needed water.

You may want to try making the hole smaller. My hens are notorious wasters and the smaller the hole the less they can flick out with their beaks. I looked at your photo of your setup. Ours have a bit of an upward angle to the pipe instead of a 90 degree. That may help some too. I have a pipe without a reducer that I had to stop using because of how much waste. The whole tube would be on the ground within a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom